Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercoms and GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 PM
coldrider47
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercoms and GPS

Posted a question about GPS units and got a great responce. Thanks much. Based on the responces and other research I ordered a Garmin Zumo 550. I'm on my third H-D so am familiar with bikes but don't know #@*& about intercoms therefore opinions and comments regarding intercoms, mics, headphones etc.would be much appreciated. Again thanks; ride safe.

C.I.B. 1st Cav RVN '68

Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Default RE: Intercoms and GPS

You don't say what your bike is but here are a few thoughts. I have an 06 SE Ultra with the advanced audio system so the intercom was built in. I use it with the wife on back all the time. My only complaint was with the volume - these old ears just don't hear like they used to. I could not get the volume high enough. That was with the Harley headsets. I tried J&M headsets next and all the volume troubles went away - I suspect due to J&M's use of higher efficiency speakers. Trouble was, I could never get the J&M mic operating to my satisfaction. It was very difficult to break VOX - I literally had to shout into the mic.

There is a thread around here somewhere about that and the solution: I purchased a set of headset speakers only from J&M and replaced my Harley speakers with them (retaining the Harley microphone). The combination works perfectly and both my wife and I are very happy with the intercom system.

On another note, I have the Cardio Bluetooth Scala Rider on my Sporty (sorry - I know this is a bagger forum ). The Scala Rider does indeed work but, once again, there are volume issues. Even the instructions that come with the unit say you probably won't be able to hear over 45mph so they are only an alternative when going slow.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Roadking 360
Novice

Consider looking into the Autocom intercom units. Here is their web site:
http://www.autocomamerica.com/
I use one on my Road King with good results using a full face helmet. I doubt it would work well on a half helmet, too much wind/road noise. It provides communication between rider to passenger, rider to rider or anyone else off bike (using FSR radios) and I think it will connect to a cell phone (but I choose not to be tied to a phone). At the same time it's connected to an iPod to play tunes on long trips. The music volume will automatically lower when your passenger speaks, and return to the original volume setting when talking is over. You can even connect it to your GPS to hear "Nagging Nancy" give you all those voice prompts (Like the cell phone I also choose not to connect this feature). All communication is hands free, in other words, it is voice activated (VOX). The control unit is about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, and fits well under the seat. I put the plugs to the radio and iPod in a H~D leather bag that fits on the crash bar in front of the saddlebag. Recommend getting a coiled extension cord (also from Autocom) for more freedom of movement, excess cord can be stuffed in the gap for the rider back rest. And lastly don't forget to disconnect when dismounting the bike!

2004 Road King Classic

Old 04-15-2007, 09:33 AM
coldrider47
Novice

Crazie

The bike is a '07 E.G. Classic with S.E. air, V&H exhaust etc.. Love it. Have a '04 Fatboy that is great but the Glide is special.I retired a while ago so plan to do some extended touringwhich is why I went to a bagger. Best move I made. By the way; that is one awesome bike you have! Thanks.

C.I.B. 1st Cav RVN '68