Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scammed thread locked/EBAY thought/buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts
Default scammed thread locked/EBAY thought/buyer beware

The thread on a member who is of the opinion he was scammed by a forum member has been locked, but I just wanted to post a couple of EBAY comments

I NEVER EVER EVER buy any HD part off of EBAY without having the part number for the item AND then running that number thru Zanottis website to see what the retail price is.

There are always guys selling "100th anniversary airwing covers" for the horn on EBAY for huge money. They play it off as it is a restricted item, or no longer avilable. Problem is the part never existed from the MoCo. Someone is taking a 37 dollar cover, slapping a 30 dollar emblem on it, and selling it for twice that. I'm not against free enterprise but representing it as a 100th anniversary factory part is fraud IMHO.

I was looking for a 100th anniversary gas door for my FLHTP. saw it on EBAY for 60 bucks plus shipping. Zanotti has it for 45 bucks blus shipping. Since I hold my Zanotti orders till I can combine shipping and save even more money I just added it to the list till I had enough to justify putting an order in.

Let the buyer beware has always been wise thinking. With EBAY it is a must. There are deals to be had, but there are ways to be had too.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome, fire away

Old 04-14-2007, 12:04 PM
DI_Dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: scammed thread locked/EBAY thought/buyer beware

EBAY used to be a great place to find deals.
Nowadays, you have to be really careful. I see lots, and I mean lots, of folks selling stuff as an intermediary or not representing the product they are marketing in a true light.
I still buy things occasionally off Ebay. But not until I have completely exhausted the search through legitimate on-line retailers.

Caveat Emptor--Let the Buyer Beware.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Biker_RN48
Tourer

I must say I have used ebay for about 4 years now. I never went there, until I needed an old snowmobile part. They actuall had it. Since then I have had (129) transactions.

My only glitch was I bought a bigger battery for a cell phone, not realizing it needed a bigger cover also. After 3 months of bickerering, getting the wrong cover from them I gave up. That only cost me $8.

Outside that I always look at 1) number of transactions, 2) their rating, 3) What their buyers have had to say, 4)and shipping costs. As far as Harley Parts, the only way I have bought anything is by entering the part number in the search box. So far everything has been great, and I have saved about $800.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the other thread is locked I will respond here.

It was me who advertised and sold this item. I placed the item up for bid, delivered what I said I would deliver as described and in a timely fashion.

Mark, you bought the item by clicking the Buy it Now, no one forced you! My reserve price was $150. Yes, $150. You decided to buy it and then get upset afterwards.

Calling me a crook, overextended credit and every other name is just not right and wrong. I won't resort to the level of name calling.

Also, after you emailed me stating it was no longer a protected item I revised my item description and removed that from the text so it no longer states that.

Banned from the forum? For what? I did not advertise my items here, did not make any posts to get more bids or anything. In fact, you were the one to bring it to the forum and I never once made any connection between my ebay ad or this forum. There's no reason for banning.

Retail price for these items is $175 plus shipping or 175 flat if you walked into your local dealer. You paid $200, by your own accord, no one forced you. Would you like a refund of the difference? I'll paypal you back the money right now, just let me know. To any others calling me a crook, stealer, deadbeat and what have you, I did nothing other than post an ad with a $150 reserve...far less than Mark paid, but that's my fault he got upset after buying an item??

Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Ebay can be a great place to find used parts - however, before I buy - I also check chicagoharley.com - usually they have better shipping and with 20% off and its a new part... Still, ebay can be good if you are looking for used - always check the sellers feed back and I always ask questions to the seller - both to check to see if they take time to answer questions and to make sure they are really selling that part - I have had my Ebay name stolen and the bad guys were selling highend cameras "as me" they scam was caught before anyone lost money - the old saying is very true Ebay = buyer beware.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been selling on Ebay for many years.Many times I've bought products on sale or closeout and resold them and made good $$. I never "drop ship". The customer will almost always call the shipper, find out the real cost and try to get a refund from the seller after they determine they can buy direct for a lesser price. Whether or not the product was restricted, limited, or whatever makes no difference. The bottom line is that the seller delivered the product as described.

Just my $.02 worth

Old 04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

If you are dumb or niave enough to buy anything anywhere on blind faith then you deserve whatever you get. This mantra in this culture is buyer beware. It never ceases to amaze me how many people purchase from me, use the stuff for a while and complain later.
Being taken works BOTH ways in business.......

Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM
rdking330
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay is great, you just have to do your homework.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Doesn't sound as if you did anything wrong turbo.
If someone wants to buy something for more than it's listed somewhere else, thats their bust.
Sucks, but not your fault. Someone should have done their homework.

lp

Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
lottinala
Tourer

the way i look at this one he should have put a little more time into looking before buying, and as far as the price, if you ever bought retail you would be pissed at any place that you bought from because you buy it one month and thew next its on sale for $$$$ less. so to me the only person you should be mad at is yourself for not doing your homework first.

Quick Reply: scammed thread locked/EBAY thought/buyer beware