Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many times is a primary chain adjustmenr needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many times is a primary chain adjustmenr needed

In reading thru these posts, it seems that the automatic primary chain adjuster I currently have on my 2011 RK may cause premature bearing wear

To hopefully prevent this, I have been thinking about getting the Baker attitude adjuster, or something similiar, for my bike.

The $200.00 for the adjuster seems a bit stiff, but if it will help bearing wear, it may be worth it.

However, I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $1000.00 for the Baker cover so I can adjust the primary chain. I can buy alo9t of primary cover gaskets for $1000.00.

I am relatively new to the Harley world and have never owned a bike that had the manual primary chain adjusters.

So, my question:
- How often does the primary chain need to be adjusted??

Thank you
Steve

Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

on evos, check about 5000 miles....not that I had to make an adjustment at each check.

The primary chain will have tight and loose areas-...make sure the tight parts are not tighter than spec...the loose parts might be sloppy.

I swapped both my Evos to the Hayden M6, about the best $75 I spent on those bikes.

smoother downshifts, no snatching or grabbing in low speed operation. a simple spring keeps tension correct. Both my evos, the original plastic shoe was about worn out at 50,000 miles or so--- the Hayden comes with it's own shoe.
( that's the evo version- I have not used the twin cam version)

The evos had a primary inspection cover in the primary, so easy to adjust.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Steve, you're right to be suspicious! If you have any plans to service your own bike, such as adjusting the chain, buy yourself the service manual, which will give you chapter and verse on when and how. Checks are at around 5k miles, but that doesn't mean an actual adjustment, as Mike points out.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I swapped both my Evos to the Hayden M6, about the best $75 I spent on those bikes.
Mike - Thanks for the Hayden tip. Just checked their site and they have an adjuster for my bike. Part # M6 BT07. Almost half the price of Baker's. Hayden suggests checking every 20,000 miles!

Seems I can check the adjustment when I change the primary fluid

Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Do a search on both the M6 and the Baker. I went with the Baker. I like the manual adjustment factor with the Baker.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by semiret
Just checked their site and they have an adjuster for my bike. Part # M6 BT07.
read up on some of the threads- some riders may have had concerns

( i dunno- I am happy with the stock adjuster on my 09...so far).

I did have a question about spacers and tension when I did my first Hayden ( 20+ years ago) and I called and Mary answered the phone and answered my question- I really appreciated that.
install time under an hour if you have the gasket and have been inside the primary before.

With both of my Haydens- as my chains were around 40 or 50K, I guess they were already as stretched as gonna be....I've never had to do anything to them.
Once the tension is set with teh shims- the spring reacts constantly to the chain's tension

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-18-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by semiret
Mike - Thanks for the Hayden tip. Just checked their site and they have an adjuster for my bike. Part # M6 BT07. Almost half the price of Baker's. Hayden suggests checking every 20,000 miles!

Seems I can check the adjustment when I change the primary fluid
Keep in mind the Hayden is a different animal. Similar in concept to the stock system, the Hayden uses a spring (or pair of springs) to apply tension to the chain.

FWIW, I have used the Hayden and didn't really like the chain bouncing up and down (see their video of this in action) as the demonstrator gets on and off the throttle. And if you listen closely, you'll hear the classic "clunk" at start-up...my Hayden did and also when going into gear from neutral.

Yes, Baker suggests checking the chain adjustment about every 5000 miles and Hayden suggests 20,000 on theirs. My 2012 UC, now with the Baker and almost 6000 miles, has needed no adjustment since its install. Personally, I think 5000 may be conservative and 20,000 is a bit too optimistic for my liking.

Like most other "auto adjusting" devices, the idea is fine but the practice is, in my opinion, not quite where it should be. I just like the idea of making adjustments that meet MY needs instead of accepting the tolerances of someone else.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,654 Likes on 1,731 Posts

its not rocket science most people have problems from over tightening the chain

Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Go w/ the Baker. You control setting up the tension. Not some springs AND shims. If you go M6 you'll probably have a real tight chain until the chain wears into the shoe as well.

Check out the Baker, the thing is heavy duty. I had the M6 but never installed it.

You'll have to pull the compensator as well to install the Baker.

Attached Thumbnails How many times is a primary chain adjustmenr needed-14-se-comp-w-baker.jpg  

Last edited by sanman4ever; 11-18-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
The evos had a primary inspection cover in the primary, so easy to adjust. Mike
Early TCs had the inspection cover too. My TC88 did.

Quick Reply: How many times is a primary chain adjustmenr needed