Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

My '11 UC did that when the battery started going. The cranking slowly got slower and slower. The battery voltage tested good, but the load test showed the battery was going. With a new battery, she fired right up every time after.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by jmn1960
not with a two year free replacement warranty , and it is a perfect fit for my 2005 uc
the batteries i buy from battery warehouse are a perfect fit, and i don't remember what the warranty is on them as i have never had to use it. i have never had to prematurely replace a battery that i have replaced. i usually end up selling the bike before then (not because of the battery, just time for a change). the only battery that i've ever had a problem with was the stock battery on the wife's bike. that lasted just over 2 years when i had to replace it. replaced it with the battery warehouse one (believe it was a yuasa brand) and it's been going fine ever since. course i would expect that, it is now only a hair under 2 years old.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:54 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
CCA schooling please.

OEM is 385, and other than going south too soon, it did a good job. 400CCA batteries are pretty easy to find and for little or nothing more than the 385's. Powersports has a 600CCA monster for $28 more. For better or worse, I'm in the "bigger is better" club. I'm leaning towards the 600CCA battery. What would be the pros and cons of this 1/3 larger capacity battery?

Thanks,

David
=====================

Well theres CA/cranking amps which is a test of the batteries cranking power at 32deg F , CCA is testing the batteries cranking power at 0 deg F ,then theres MCA/marine cranking amps which doesnt apply here.

The more powerfull 600cca battery has more cold cranking amps that could be beneficial for higher compression motors without compression relief type cams or when trying to fire up a cold motor (even with stock compression) in 30-40 deg temps esp if its got 20w-50 oil in it.

Could also help a bit if your motors just a bit cranks at times requiring additonal cranking before it starts for whatever the reason.

Other then that the slightly 400cca hi perf factory activated AGM battery i have in the link for $99.95 & free shipping does just fine ,that's whats in my 09 glide with a stock 96ci motor.

Not that the 15 additional CCA's is a deal breaker which it isn't ,but from many yrs exp working on bikes my experience has been the 400cca type factory activated hi perf AGM battery i posted in the link is has proven to me time and time again to be good quality dependable battery that lasts a long time on avg costing a lot less then rep battery at the stealer (approx $150-175 depending on dealer) or local autozone that gets approx $130 .

And that's not inc core fee on old battery if you don't have one to turn in and tax too.

Cant beat the $99,96 or $108 price's inc S&H for the quality AGM 400cca batteries i posted in the links for the ETX30L type HD repl battery.

I have seen batteries as cheap as mid 50's to mid 60's on ebay for the ETX30L type HD ,but they are often unknown name batteries from someplace overseas that may work out just fine ,or maybe not.

I dont know either way on that ,but i am not willing to find out just how good the non name batteries are at the expence of possible early failure or a low quality battery in my 850+lb glide with no kickstart.

I'm getting too old to be push starting an 850+ LB bike if a cheap battery should fail !/LOL!!!

Scott