Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my road glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 PM
sandtrap10
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering my road glide

I have tried to search for other post but cant seem to find any, My question is have any of you folks used the lowering blocks I see on jp cycles are any other site. I see were some say they make the shocks rub the bags, don't want that. I guess I could just buy some streetglide shocks but was hoping for a little less out of pocket money. Any and all responses will greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-16-2014, 03:29 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

alot of us use lowering blocks- mine cost about $16 on ebay.

They allow me to use 13" shocks and have 2.75" suspension travel.

previously I was using the 12" SG shocks w/ about 1.75" travel.

guess which gives a smoother ride?

ride height about the same either way.

no bag clearance problems- I am not using the lowest setting which is gained by changing the shock angle ( each hole is a different height)

the ride is ok for day rides- I go back to stock height when touring

the touring shocks were changed for 09+, revalved compared to the earlier version

one thing with a $16 part- have a look every now and again to make sure the things are not falling apart.

on my evo bagger it came with white brothers lowering blocks ( $80)- never a problem with these. white brothers is gone they are now sold as Burly.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-16-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:46 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Have you considered having your seat "modified". I had lowered air shocks installed at delivery and Mean City Cycles helped out on the seat lowering. Now I'm flat footed.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:36 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

My stock shocks developed a leak, so I bought a set of take off shocks on eBay for $50. I didn't even realize they were street glide shocks until I got them. From reading the forum, I was worried that the ride would be horrible, but to my surprise, they ride great, better than my old ones anyway.

They are about 3/4" shorter. The ones I bought were from a 2011, so maybe there were some upgrades made by harley from 06-11, not sure. I would rather buy a set of takeoffs than run lowering blocks. For $50, it my be worth it for you to check into it.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I used lowering blocks with my stock Ultra shocks for about a year. They seemed ok but I did notice a rub mark on my strut cover. I ended up removing the lowering blocks. I plan on replacing my stock air shocks, probably with 12 or 12 1/2 Progressives but haven't got around to it yet.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you want it lower is the real question. If it is for parking lot maneuvering, go with air ride. If it is for the cool stance when crusing the hood, go with air or lowering blocks. I think air ride gets you the best of both worlds, but it's more expensive than lowering blocks, but you get on the fly adjustability.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

I used lowering blocks without any issues but eventually took them off...back to the factory ride height as I prefer more lean angle through the twisties ..if I lower the bike again I will probably go with the shorter shocks next time.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,420 Likes on 934 Posts

The lowering block rubbing issue is with the soft bags on the Road King Classic and the like I believe. Not with hard bags.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by LilWick
Why do you want it lower is the real question. If it is for parking lot maneuvering........
.......get off and push it!

Why would help us more, as there are so many ways of getting round the common 'problems'.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 PM
MICROBEAT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the stock air shocks and lowering bracket on my RoadGlide.

I installed mine at 3" (lowest setting) and it rides 'bumpier' than stock, but shure looks good...

I will swap to AirRide in 2015.

I highly recommend this mod, its inexpensive and reversable

Quick Reply: Lowering my road glide