Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which seat would you go with? Sleek vs Practical?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:12 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which seat would you go with? Sleek vs Practical?

My Glide arrives at the dealer next week and I will likely be changing out the stock seat. While I prefer the smooth sleek linesof the fastback or gunslinger seats designs, I will also be taking the wife for the odd cruise through the local mountain loops (about 2 hours). I am looking at the LoPro seat by CC Seats, and also the Daytripper from Mustang Seats. I know Mustang builds a real comfy product but would like to hear if anyone has any quality reports on the CC Seat line and how long in the saddle you can ride with it?

I may be installing the quick detach docking kit with low backrest for the wife, and it should work with either seat design for short cruises. I could also keep the stock seat and mount it up if needed for the wife for how infrequently she rides with me. What would you do if it was your choice. Smooth and Sleek, or Big and Comfy?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 AM
onlythebest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which seat would you go with? Sleek vs Practical?

Here is an option I was looking at.
http://www.corbin.com/harley/flhx/flhx_rumble.shtml

Old 04-14-2007, 02:27 AM
scarygt
Road Master

I'd just leave the stock seat on and see how comfortable you think it is. I have a RKC with the same stock seat as your glide... I'm not having any problems with it... granted I haven't went more than 150 at any one ride yet (it has been cold here in Ohio), but one day I was on the bike for more than 8 hours of riding... the seat was fine. My wife has been on the bike for a few hours at a time and she has no real complaints about the seat.

If you must change it out you should look at the sundowner seats. They have one that looks exactly like our stock seats but everyone says that it is more comfortable for both driver and passanger.

On the backrest you should just get the regular height one for your bike because your wife will appreciate the comfort of it and the extra area for her to hold on while you are slamming on the brakes. And I think that you will love the quick release system for the backrest. I bought the backrest and luggage rack and had the dealer install them. I had them make it so that the backrest and luggage rack are one unit that quick releases ... so you don't have two pieces to mess with. The price is kind of steep... I think I have about 650+ tied up in my setup.

Again give the stock seat a try for a while... if it is comfortable enough for you and your wife you will save yourself $300 by not buying a replacement.... then you can dump that 300 into chrome!

Good luck, Ralph

Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Leave the STOCKER for when you ride 2-up (wife will thanks you for it and let you keep your TOY) and Solo what ever ya feel the need for.... (what's it take 5 min MAX to change the seat)

Made that mistake many years ago - Bought a seat that made the ride look tight... Took the wife on a ride with it and after 15 miles she told ne to take her home and never ask her to go with as long as "THAT" seat was on... Needless to say... Went and bought a Corbin and she was back in the saddle again (so was I (lol))... I would change seats to meet the needs...

Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 AM
bluesteel
6th Gear

Keep what you have for one riding season then make a choice. By the way your bike has smooth look about it

Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Unamed
Road Master

Im not sure abotu fitment issues but I want teh Screaming Eagle Road King seat. It looks comfy but has much better lines than the stockers.

On the other hand I did 500 miles on my stock seat just fine. I really havent fallen in love with any of the seats I have seen. I want sleek and sexy but comfort also. Mustangs are nice but the looks just dont do it for me. I need to see them in person and sit on one before I buy anything.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 AM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

Mama is much happier with the seat on my EG than she was with the one on the SG.

If you're riding two-up, go with comfy.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 AM
kingtut73
Cruiser

two seatsstocker for mama and a kewl seatfor you solo

Old 04-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not uncommon for me and the wife to put on 500 miles in a day. By the time you do that many miles,a "sleek and sexy" seat becomes a real pain in the azz.

Riding two up - riding better than 200 miles a day, go with comfy.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Been there and done that. If mama is going to ride with ya, go for comfort. If mama ain't happy, oh sh*t lmao. Look at what Mustang offers, that's the route I went.

Quick Reply: Which seat would you go with? Sleek vs Practical?