Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WD40 spray down

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscott
Talked to my dealer and he said you really don't have to worry about flat spots from parking the bike on concrete. That was more of an issue back in the day.
Back in the day of bias ply tires.

The first few miles of driving on a cold winter morning was like having square wheels.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Back on topic... Instead of WD40, I Suggest washing and waxing a bike before storage.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Winterizing my bike:
Since i have a lift, i raise the bike so tires are not on garage floor.
Gas tank left full so tank does not rust, put in fuel stabilizer.
Put battery on trickle battery tender.
Cover bike with breathable cotton old bed sheets.
Waking the slleping giant, run it for awhile change the fluids ready to go....
Check bolts and nuts, check tire pressures.
Quick clean with dust mop....ready to go.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgv
Who does the WD 40 spray down for winter storage. Never did it before and was wondering what to spray down and how many peeps actually do this.

Yes, it has been a common practice for decades. On every brand motorcycle in existence. Pull your spark plugs, remove the air cleaner, hold the throttle wide open, hit the start button and spray WD40 down the intake till it sprays out the spark plug holes. It simply coats the inside of the motor with WD40. Years ago I did this religiously after adding STABIL to the tank. Mostly when I was living in Chicago and the bike sat for many months over the "snow" season. Now I am living in Virginia, I no longer do this, as at least one day every month, I ride the bike. Fat old grey beards swear by this storage "trick". I have no proof it does a thing, but I did it just the same. Expect a big POOF of smoke when you pull it out of storage, the first day of spring.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
hdruss
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WD40 is Kerosene mostly.... another term - stove oil.
Have to look at the label again - but I believe its at least 80%

Not sure of its affects on rubber - eg plug wires, gaskets, tires, etc.

Something to investigate if you are serious about it

I plug the intake and exhaust to minimize condensation in the engine and exhaust. Put it away clean with fresh oil.

I ruined a set of Performance Machine wheels .... condensation over the winter bubbled the chrome where it pooled on the wheel lip/ledge, and I had an insulated attached garage.
So I'd consider a coating just where condensation can collect, especially on chrome.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:16 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
I WD40 the heck out of my bikes and trucks (especially the undercarriage), car engines, etc. It keeps the corrosion away, and makes them exceptionally easy to wipe down. I understand that the propellant agent in the spray can make it act a bit like a solvent of sorts, but it isn't--it was used by the military to displace water, and it does that well. The silicone stuff in it keeps things nice and shiny (and plastic bits nice and black).

We don't have winter issues here in so cal, but my truck can see some salt water (Pismo Beach dune runs) and corrosion if I'm not careful. I can't see WD40 hurting anything...
You do realize that silicone is actually a drying agent (think those little packets in electronics you buy, and rechargeable gun-safe dehumidifier beads, yup those little beads are silicone.) so thats actually drying out the plastic, it just looks deeper black from the liquid on top of it. You know how vehicle plastics turn from a nice black when the vehicle is new to a rather dingy black or grey color? thats the plastic drying out.

I wouldnt willingly spray my bike with WD-40. Much better things you can do to protect it. A good through wash AND dry before you put it up is going to be your best bet. If you have a little paint chip or something on the frame, either sand and touch it up with some spray paint, or dab some motor oil on the bare metal once any present rust has been removed.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 11-16-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by hdruss
WD40 is Kerosene mostly.... another term - stove oil.
Have to look at the label again - but I believe its at least 80%

Not sure of its affects on rubber - eg plug wires, gaskets, tires, etc.

Something to investigate if you are serious about it

I plug the intake and exhaust to minimize condensation in the engine and exhaust. Put it away clean with fresh oil.

I ruined a set of Performance Machine wheels .... condensation over the winter bubbled the chrome where it pooled on the wheel lip/ledge, and I had an insulated attached garage.
So I'd consider a coating just where condensation can collect, especially on chrome.
sounds like a poor chrome job than anything.

I've got chrome wheels on my truck, had them for 5 years now and they've been run in the snow and all winter every year. Given I do rinse them off weekly when I've driven out in the snowy roads and they've salted. Only one has pealing/ bubbling issues. and its only in one spot and has been that way for 3 years, never grew any more. I'm going to say the chrome didnt stick there do to improper prep before chroming.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 PM
hdruss
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad chrome is likely, I agree.

The pitting (well worse than pitting) was on both wheels at the spot on the rim where moisture would pool. Thought PM was a good brand. Called about it, and it wasn't warranted.

Garage cold at night, warmed up a bit in the day, and so on.... only explanation is condensation pooling there and causing the corrosion.

Rest of rim finishes were fine. Just mentioned it as its a consideration for some, and a coating there would have helped, but not all over the wheels and tires.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgv
Who does the WD 40 spray down for winter storage. Never did it before and was wondering what to spray down and how many peeps actually do this.
WD40 spray down for winter? Lol....Is this The Onion edition of hd forums??

Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
change fluids ( old oil contains acids and water which can eat the steel bearings)

wash and wax all the paint

inflate tires raise bike to relieve weight from tires ( flat spots)

remove battery ( put on the bench with a tender)

cover with a couple of cotton bedsheets.

"barricade" to keep people from banging into it.

wait until spring.

one of the worst things a rider can do is start the bike during a storage period - the over rich mixture and poor piston seal will corrupt the oil. condensation will form inside the cases and exhaust.

WD is messy.
if will displace water, but if your bike is clean and dry and you have a breathable cover---there should be no water to displace.

an oil will attract and hold dust and grit

trying to clean a 1/2 can of wd40 off your bike and garage floor is gonna be a mess. smells nice though

mike
==================

Thats exactly what i have been doing to my bikes over the past 4+ decades i have been riding on the street.

But i do one more thing thats extreemly important with todays crappy pump fuel with ethenol in it which is fill the tank wit fresh fuel ,give it a jhealthy dose of sta-bils Marine grade fuel stabilizer .

Then i take the bike for a 10 min ride to ensure the complete fuel system gets the fresh fuel treated with a healthy dose of the stabilizer just prior to shutting it down for winter storrage.

Have done that every winter here in NY with my bikes and never ever had 1 carb/fuel related issue in spring start up where bikes always fired up just like they were run a day ago running perfect.

Same goes for storing my mower , snow blower,or my classic muscle car (69 chevelle SS 396) i have owned for 36+ yrs for off season storage and have never had any fuel related with those vehicles/motors when firing up for the new season.

I prefer the marine grade sta-bil vs std version because the marine grade is formulated for max protection in the harshest environment having a lot of moisture avail along with lrg temp swings/variation too that both can cause havick with todays fuel esp with ethenol.

Scott

Scott

Quick Reply: WD40 spray down