Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WD40 spray down

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

believe it or not wd40 works great on paint too and it wont hurt your bikes metal parts what so ever.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Fresh fluids,full tank of gas treated with Startron fuel stabilizer,battery stays in bike, hooked to tender.Tires over inflated and parked right on cement garage floor,modern tires don't develop flat spots..My tires hold air well in the garages cool temps and still will be a bit over inflated come Spring.

I usually don't wash and wax right before storage,I put it away a little dirty and don't worry much about it till a few weeks into Spring.There's always a decent base coat of good wax on it all through the year,never any deterioration while stored,looks great year after year.

I throw a couple of black cotton sheets from Walmart over it for a breathable cover and stuff a couple of old socks in the pipes to keep critters out.

No big time WD 40 use,but it's ok for what it is.

Last edited by Slash; 11-15-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 PM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

In the latest issue (317) of American Iron, editor Chris Maida states he uses WD40 on chrome and unpainted parts for winter prep.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DresserDude

I personally think LPS corrosion inhibitor is the best
LPS 3, leaves a nice bulky film and the best best pickling agent for the price for bare metal. WD-40 scares me because it will dissolve rust and eventually everything it gets left on for a length of time, especially machined metals.
Dang, how long is your bike gonna be parked that you would have to worry about rust and corrosion? My bikes don't get "stored", they just get parked until the first half-way warm day comes along.

Last edited by Lakerat; 11-15-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
change fluids ( old oil contains acids and water which can eat the steel bearings)

wash and wax all the paint

inflate tires raise bike to relieve weight from tires ( flat spots)

remove battery ( put on the bench with a tender)

cover with a couple of cotton bedsheets.

"barricade" to keep people from banging into it.

wait until spring.

one of the worst things a rider can do is start the bike during a storage period - the over rich mixture and poor piston seal will corrupt the oil. condensation will form inside the cases and exhaust.

WD is messy.
if will displace water, but if your bike is clean and dry and you have a breathable cover---there should be no water to displace.

an oil will attract and hold dust and grit

trying to clean a 1/2 can of wd40 off your bike and garage floor is gonna be a mess. smells nice though

mike
I always start my bikes every 2 weeks during deep winter at my place in Tenn. Let them idle 12-15 minutes...never had an issue. There are days even in deep winter when I can ride. I just make sure the oil and filter are pristine.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

........... be mindful of varmints, they'll eat the seat. Happened to a buddy of mine.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 AM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually use CorrosionX on the undercarriage, give a good coat of wax on everything waxable and of course top off the tank and add a stabilizer........ I ride all winter though, except after a snow(I wait for a rain to wash the salt away)WINTER SUCKS!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Assegai
........... be mindful of varmints, they'll eat the seat. Happened to a buddy of mine.
I had to store my bike outside for almost a year.

The damn cats would crawl up under the cover and lay on the seat!
Cat hair and mud all over.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,940 Likes on 19,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
LPS 3, leaves a nice bulky film and the best best pickling agent for the price for bare metal. WD-40 scares me because it will dissolve rust and eventually everything it gets left on for a length of time, especially machined metals.
Dang, how long is your bike gonna be parked that you would have to worry about rust and corrosion? My bikes don't get "stored", they just get parked until the first half-way warm day comes along.
WD-40 scares me because it will dissolve rust and eventually everything it gets left on for a length of time, especially machined metals. ... for the sake of an argument let's agree that there might be something better than WD-40 to coat your scooter in ... I've done this ( use WD-40 ) for years ( longer than I care to remember ) and have never, ever had, nor seem ANY adverse effects regarding finishes on metals, plastics nor finishes. A quick bath in the spring and the scooter is ready to go. I just recently sold my 1992 FLHTCU ( I currently have 5 motorcycles ) which I did this to every winter, and got top dollar for it because of it's condition ( and it had a ton of miles on it ) ... I'm sure someone else will chime in telling you that the procedure will also cause your hair to fall out and your ********* to stretch, but don't worry that hasn't happened either ... WD-40 on if it makes you happy!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

When I was on Okinawa, the locals would wash and then heavy wax their cars in the winter. They would leave the heavy wax on all winter. Not much of a winter as winters go but a pacific island with lots of salty air. That's what I do now. Wax won't hurt anything. And when you wipe it off in the spring, it sparkles.

Quick Reply: WD40 spray down