Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WD40 spray down

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscott
Talked to my dealer and he said you really don't have to worry about flat spots from parking the bike on concrete. That was more of an issue back in the day.

I'm not sure if this is true, so take it with a grain of salt. But I will say that my bikes have always been parked on a concrete floor over the winter and I've never had a problem.

^^^^This

I have never lifted a bike over winter, and never had an issue. I have also never "winterized" my bike, nor sprayed it down with anything either. I haven't had corrosion issues from that as well.
I will say that I also never ride it after the salt has been put down until there is enough rain to wash the roads, so that might have something to do with it. My bike doesn't sit for more than a couple months at most without being ridden however, you can almost always steal that freak warm day here and there over winter to ride.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a king size bed and put my bike on the wife's side over the winter.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:51 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
I have a king size bed and put my bike on the wife's side over the winter.

Uhm, if you don't leave room for the wife, then you basically put both your "rides" away in the winter ehh?

Old 11-15-2014, 12:59 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Maybe He was not planning to ride either one for a few months...

Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike, why remove the battery instead of simply disconnecting and tendering?
I lift my bike, because I like un-weighting the suspension and tires, and it's easy for me to do.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:18 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about any of that.. There arnt many times I can't put on enough clothes and ride all year long

Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I WD40 the heck out of my bikes and trucks (especially the undercarriage), car engines, etc. It keeps the corrosion away, and makes them exceptionally easy to wipe down. I understand that the propellant agent in the spray can make it act a bit like a solvent of sorts, but it isn't--it was used by the military to displace water, and it does that well. The silicone stuff in it keeps things nice and shiny (and plastic bits nice and black).

We don't have winter issues here in so cal, but my truck can see some salt water (Pismo Beach dune runs) and corrosion if I'm not careful. I can't see WD40 hurting anything...

Old 11-15-2014, 04:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Does anyone Really know what WD 40 is...???

Its made to disperse moisture on metal Parts.......Read up on it..!!!

Its not made to a Lubricant or an oil that last a long time...ITs name came from the 40th test some engineers made that was looking for a Moisture or (Water/ Displacement) film to spray on and keep raw metal from rusting....

Thus the Name ----WD-40

So it Keep metal from Rusting for a short time period because it Evaporates over a short period of time... and it wasn't made not anything else..

Old 11-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

WD 40 May be better at cleaning than any thing else. It works at Water Displacing but all so holds water on the metal side too. It is hygroscopic and will actually attract water in the air. Guns that have been left wet will rust in a few days here it the southern US in high humity. It a good mild cleaner for tuff jobs but that's about it. I defiantly would not spray it heave and walk away and leave it on my bike.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:05 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Op, what you propose was exactly what WD40 was invented for. Read it's history. I'm sure it's fine on chrome. I'm a little less sure about painted surfaces. I've never heard of it damaging paint, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Especially if it lays on paint for months.

Quick Reply: WD40 spray down