Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a tour pak on 12 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Tookey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing a tour pak on 12 Street Glide

So after spending about 2 hours searching the forum I cant seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I am going to put a tour pak with lights and speakers on my '12 Street Glide. The pak came from a 2011 Ultra. I am a little confused about the light situation. I was told I will need some adapter because the harness on the bike will not just plug into the plug on the pak? I have been reading about the speakers and I'm pretty sure I can buy an overlay harness or make my own? Will I need an amp to power the speakers or will flashing the radio work fine?

Thanks in advance
Josh

Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been going through this myself on my 09 SG. the 09 is a little different in that it does have a center tail light. and the tri bar light is wired differently.

That being said.
on the 09 the factory tour pack light connector is located under the left side side cover. Unfortunately on the 09 that connector is used for the tri bar light. Maybe on the 10 and later models it is open.

In any event I would look under the side cover to see if there is a three wire connector for the lights.

As for the speakers, wires and a flash is all that is needed.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Tookey
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I will check behind the left side cover.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tookey
I am going to put a tour pak with lights and speakers on my '12 Street Glide. The pak came from a 2011 Ultra. I am a little confused about the light situation. I was told I will need some adapter because the harness on the bike will not just plug into the plug on the pak? I have been reading about the speakers and I'm pretty sure I can buy an overlay harness or make my own? Will I need an amp to power the speakers or will flashing the radio work fine?
Thanks in advance
Josh
Check with Bruin08. He did this to his yellow street glide. I know he had the same challenges.

Originally Posted by senna
I've been going through this myself on my 09 SG. the 09 is a little different in that it does have a center tail light. and the tri bar light is wired differently.

That being said.
on the 09 the factory tour pack light connector is located under the left side side cover. Unfortunately on the 09 that connector is used for the tri bar light. Maybe on the 10 and later models it is open.

In any event I would look under the side cover to see if there is a three wire connector for the lights.

As for the speakers, wires and a flash is all that is needed.
On my 09 I used a Custom Dynamics magic convertor for tourpak, thier LED's and wired it in to the brake/turn system. I also run a Badlands RTB controller with a Signal Dynamics back-off module. I have Run turn Brake on the entire rear of the tour pack, and flashers. That was the easiest way. Be warned though if you use the CD MCT you will have to convert to LED's (but you will be seen very well from the rear.)

Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Tookey
Intermediate

Thanks stang, I will check with him. Apparently nobody does this. I found a post from bruin a while back with no real info on it. Maybe the local stealer can give me the low down.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

A lot of people do this, it's just hard to explain and many ways to wire it. I added the ebay cvo style wrap LED light and side lights, and was able to make a connector to attach it to the wire under the fuse cover of the bike. My stereo is all after market so wiring my speakers to my amp didn't require a special harness just speaker wires. My tour back does have brake lights with the CVO stlye light and air wing rack light but I couldn't figure out how to wire turns into it.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Tookey
Intermediate

I'm wondering if it would be easier to just buy the harness? Does anyone know if it has speakers and lights will just plug right into the harness? also would anyone know what the harness is called?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tookey
I'm wondering if it would be easier to just buy the harness? Does anyone know if it has speakers and lights will just plug right into the harness? also would anyone know what the harness is called?
There is no harness (at least that is what Bruin found out). The 11-13 street glides do not have the same harnesses for them to plug into.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

If you had to get a harness it would be the ultra overlay harness but the street glides 09 and up have a round plug and the ultra has a square plug. Aftermarket company's like custom dynamics might have something as well. I bought mine from ridetimetechnology but I think there closed now.