Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing compensator

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014 | 03:57 PM
sg2007
|
Tourer
Default Replacing compensator

Maybe someone can help me here,I did a search and couldn't find much info on this.The comp on my 2011 Streetglide is making a lot of racket,last time a opened up the primary it had some gaulding on the ramps.Im gonna replace it,my question is do I need to replace the spring pack also?...is there a way to see if the spring pack is still good enough to use again? Thanks!

Old 11-11-2014 | 04:15 PM
PeteF
Road Captain

Yes replace the spring pack while you're in there. Part of the compensator issue on my previous '09 Ultra was the spring pack.

Old 11-11-2014 | 04:55 PM
sg2007
|
Tourer

On 09 models the spring pack was different,on 2011 the comp is the SE version. Wouldnt the spring pack be better kn the SE comp?...dealer here where am at sells the comp and spring pack separately. Was told by dealer I didnt need it,don't know if he's knowledgeable enough to know.

Old 11-11-2014 | 05:08 PM
sg2007
|
Tourer

Double post sorry

Old 11-11-2014 | 07:24 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Is there a re-stocking fee if you buy something you determine later that you don't need and bring it back unopened? If you buy it you have it on hand while your machine is in pieces and you decide you need it. I was under the impression that the comp came as a kit including the new spring pack. That it doesn't, surprises me. Seems the price keeps going up. My new comp came with a new rotor and spring pack for about $275.. The newer machines don't need the rotor but the comp is still pretty close to $275 without the rotor. Now even a new spring pack is additional? How about the little glue in lube piece? Is it extra also? Don't forget a new gasket and lube plus a T70 Torx bit. Almost seems like buying a new scooter one piece at a time.

Old 11-11-2014 | 07:38 PM
sg2007
|
Tourer

Yup,comp assembly runs around $270,spring pack $85. Not including the rest!....if I dont need the spring pack won't get it.

Old 11-11-2014 | 09:27 PM
limboglide
Cruiser

My compensator went out at 20k miles, right about the time I went to a 107. Bought it for $279ish and it comes with the spring pack and oil diverter that you have to glue to the inside of the primary cover.

Old 11-11-2014 | 09:33 PM
limboglide
Cruiser

Sorry accidentally hit send.......You will also need the special adhesive and special dispensing gun. I bought the adhesive and jury rigged a dispenser, that was a mistake and recommend purchasing the dispenser. According to the description, the spring pack is more robust with the SE comp, I would not reuse the old ones, JMHO.

Old 11-12-2014 | 08:35 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

More confusion, the new comp comes with or doesn't come with new springs. In an '11 or newer we are talking about the SE style factory comp which requires the belleville springs. No one has actually verified that that the newest style comp uses the same springs as the previous versions, though I suspect it does. I have read ZERO reports of belleville spring failure in all of the comp failures on various forums. All have dealt with excessive wear at the cam/sprocket spoke contact point so to date, no one has cycled the first belleville springs to crack or disintegrate. My own theory of the wear failure is that the springs are so strong that they over power the lube film strength. New springs would cause that cycle to repeat at the original rate while used springs might have lost some tension and would allow a slower wear rate. Weigh that against the possibility of the springs eventually fatiguing and breaking into pieces allowing spring steel chunks to float around inside the primary case. If it were me, I think with a new comp, new springs are appropriate.

Old 11-12-2014 | 10:02 AM
sg2007
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the great info guys,I'll get both just for peace on mind. Limbo where did you purchase your comp,these guys at this dealership probably tryin to take me for a ride!

Quick Reply: Replacing compensator