Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe or h pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default X pipe or h pipe?

Has anyone noted a noticeable difference in performance between an x pipe stlye header vs. using an h pipe design. Comparing pipes such as jackpot and VH power duals to let's say s&s power tuned true duals or rush premium duals? I'm basically asking if there is a known advantage to one design over the other?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Everyone says the true duals are louder but the power dual type pipes give ya more oomph. Im trying to decide which im putting on my bike this winter also

Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

well, my 09 with stock no-cat headers and the 2011 with power duals ran about the same. same mpg pretty much the same at speed...the 2011 was a 103 so a little more ooomph in the twisties and getting away from a light.

for stock motors, no big deal.
the choice of header will make less difference than how much junk ( weight) you have in the saddlebags.

the advantages are just in increasing flow into and out of the motor- the classic stage 1- which typically gives 7 to 10 hp.

in either case you'll have more flow from the rt side as it is more of a straight shot

if your motor is built than cam type and heads should help you determine the optimal length and diameter of the exhaust tract

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-10-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

H pipe vs X pipe??? What is this, a 5.0 Mustang forum?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
No its an honest question about the two different styles of headers that are commonly used?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
No its an honest question about the two different styles of headers that are commonly used?

Ah.... so you mean 2-1-2 vs a collector. Got it. Sorry, at least until now, I have never heard exhaust systems comparisons referred to H vs X outside the automotive world.

2-1-2, better midrange torque. True duals, better sound. Any pipe with a crossover will perform better than true duals, albeit marginally, regardless of whether its a crossover or a collector. Fuel moto makes a "X" style that people seem to love. As mentioned, on a basic setup, the difference in styles is very, very small. Hence the 5.0 reference. Those guy will argue X vs H to such extremes, is beyond ridiculous. When in the end, the actual difference is almost nothing. Even more so with a 70 horsepower engine.

Sorry for the edits.......

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-10-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm a fan of 2-1-2 on the baggers.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master

Ah.... so you mean 2-1-2 vs a collector. Got it. Sorry, at least until now, I have never heard exhaust systems comparisons referred to H vs X outside the automotive world.

2-1-2, better midrange torque. True duals, better sound. Any pipe with a crossover will perform better than true duals, albeit marginally, regardless of whether its a crossover or a collector. Fuel moto makes a "X" style that people seem to love. As mentioned, on a basic setup, the difference in styles is very, very small. Hence the 5.0 reference. Those guy will argue X vs H to such extremes, is beyond ridiculous. When in the end, the actual difference is almost nothing. Even more so with a 70 horsepower engine.

Sorry for the edits.......
Ok thanks for the info, wasn't trying to be snippy.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:55 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Ok thanks for the info, wasn't trying to be snippy.

My apologies, neither was I. I was hoping to be funny. But, I am a middle aged, bald, fat guy. I think I'm a lot funnier than I really am.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

LOL! I was going to say the car people prefer x-pipes, why not bikes?
And the closest thing to an H-pipe I can think of is the stock pipes pre-converter with a crossover pipe. I don't know if anyone makes that style for newer bikes.
ps bikerlaw, I thought you were funny, but I'm old too...

Last edited by Joe12RK; 11-11-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: X pipe or h pipe?