Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe or h pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
I would have gone with the Fuel Moto head pipes since I got the air cleaner and the Power Vision from them. But I was also going for looks and the FM head pipe uses the same heat shields as OEM so it looks OEM. No way did I want to spend the money for a head pipe and not have it stand out. (Hear that FM?).
I'm willing to bet Fuel Moto designed it that way to save the buyer money? Less materials to make the expensiver the part. There not a huge company like some of the big name brand exhausts. But the quality and proven numbers is why most go with there head pipe, not looks.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Has anyone noted a noticeable difference in performance between an x pipe stlye header vs. using an h pipe design. Comparing pipes such as jackpot and VH power duals to let's say s&s power tuned true duals or rush premium duals? I'm basically asking if there is a known advantage to one design over the other?
I added the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 when I did the cams on my 2010 RKC, so can't give an opinion on how it works with a stock or stage-1 set-up, but I can tell you it works very nicely with my Andrews 48 cams.

Nice deep sound and even flow out of both pipes. It provides much of the performance of a 2-1 pipe. Strong bottom end and mid range and very smooth. Performs well on the top end too.

I used the same cams in my 2005 Deluxe (TC88) and I could never match the low and mid range performance until I (finally) went to a 2-1 pipe. It was always soft off the bottom with stock headers and slip-ons.

I tried 3 different sets of slip-ons and just couldn't get the performance I knew that cam could deliver until I changed to a the 2-1.

So in my experience, the 2-1-2 pipes deliver very close to the same performance of a good 2-1 system. If you have a touring bike, it's nice to have the extra torque on the bottom end.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM
CharlieMac
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought the fuel moto 2-1-2 header because performance and it has the stock look. Of course my last 2 bikes have been black. Everyone knows black is the fastest color.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieMac
Of course my last 2 bikes have been black. Everyone knows black is the fastest color.
Their are a lot of Black bikes on the road, I see a ton of them in my rear view mirrors. LOL
Seriously one other consideration, unless I missed it being posted, is tuning in the future, If you go cams, heads, down the road, you don't want to have to buy a new exhaust also. Most Tuners have a preference that they like that makes the over all riding experience work. Good low end, powerful midrange, and still makes HP on the big end.
Had a pair of V&H dresser duals, looked great, sounded wicked, when ever I took it too the tuner, he said you know those pipes are hurting you. I said, I know, not looking for every last HP, his response was not talking about that, the 02 sensors are in the wrong place on them and they make getting a good tune a struggle.
Fuel Moto, or Fulsac are both highly recommended for a 2-1-2 head pipe. Then the slip on battle begins, wont go into that. If you like the sound of a 2-1 system, then the argument starts all over again. D&D, Borzilla, Thunderheader.
Sound is such a subjective thing, what I like you may think sucks, so I wont go into slip ons, but some really do make more HP than others, maybe just a few, but their is a difference.