Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe or h pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

heres my .01 on it, in theory the X pipe helps scavenge more exhaust out of the opposite pipe due to the flow and design of it has to where a H pipe just gives is less flow but still a bit better then just straight pipes alone. In the seat of the pants world of HP your never gonna feel it esp in a stock bike. Its more about looks at that point. Now if your building a full on dragster bike then there other options for that scenario.

Batman

Old 11-11-2014, 11:12 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Modern X pipes work almost as well as proper 2-1 pipes. H type "balance tubes" are band-aids for true duals.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
heres my .01 on it, in theory the X pipe helps scavenge more exhaust out of the opposite pipe due to the flow and design of it has to where a H pipe just gives is less flow but still a bit better then just straight pipes alone. In the oseat of the pants world of
HP your never gonna feel it esp in a stock bike. Its more about looks at that point. Now if your building
a full on dragster bike then
there other options for that
scenario.

Batman
I have a h pipe on my bike and there is more flow equally out of my pipes, a friend has the x pipe and u can tell the difference on the left side. More flow out of the left pipe with the H pipe. Thats why you dont get as much torque gains using the H then with the X pipe.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd just get the one that looks coolest, especially on a street bike that's not going racing. I personally have the S&S, and while it's a noticeable improvement over stock, I couldn't tell you if it's better or worse than the X pipe. Good bang for the buck as header pipes go IMO.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:12 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I'd just get the one that looks coolest, especially on a street bike that's not going racing.
This makes good sense and it's the reason I went with the V&H Power Duals. I would have gone with the Fuel Moto head pipes since I got the air cleaner and the Power Vision from them. But I was also going for looks and the FM head pipe uses the same heat shields as OEM so it looks OEM. No way did I want to spend the money for a head pipe and not have it stand out. (Hear that FM?). I know I left a little bit on the table with the Power Duals but the damn thing is a touring bike, not a drag bike. As is, it does a good job hauling me, my wife and enough gear for 10 days travel. Plus is looks cool and with the Big Louie's, it sounds awesome.

David

Old 11-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
...No way did I want to spend the money for a head pipe and not have it stand out. (Hear that FM?)...
Don't take this personally, but I specifically bough the FM head pipe because I wanted the stock look - I don't have to show off how I spend my money. I hope FM hears this side too...

The following users liked this post:
RATFINK53 (07-27-2017)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Don't take this personally, but I specifically bough the FM head pipe because I wanted the stock look - I don't have to show off how I spend my money. I hope FM hears this side too...
NP. It doesn't bother me a bit. We both have an opinion. I do object to "don't have to show off how I spend my money". For me, it isn't showing off, it's about making my bike my own. If you want your bike to look like every other bike, have fun. FWIW, I wouldn't have a black bike either.

Ride Safe

David

Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
LOL! I was going to say the car people prefer x-pipes, why not bikes?
And the closest thing to an H-pipe I can think of is the stock pipes pre-converter with a crossover pipe. I don't know if anyone makes that style for newer bikes.
ps bikerlaw, I thought you were funny, but I'm old too...
The Rinehart Slimline Duals that I recently installed on my '15 RG are an H pipe design. Doesn't look to be nearly as efficient a set up as the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 headpipe I had on my '12.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Matt91
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the fulsac DX head pipe on my 2013 street glide, it made pretty good gains on the butt dyno. It came ceramic coated to. Really helps with the heat . I'm happy with it.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put the Cobra power ports against the V&H power duals...but I'd put fulsac DX or CX against them both.
length, dia. steps and bends...
just a question out of ignorance here. but since the grunt cams that one guy is slinging on here delays the exhaust valve to create a lil extra torque. Is the exhaust really scavenging when there is no way for it to pull intake air in? I guess the last pulse is tapered like a turd that keeps an *** hole from slamming shut.

Quick Reply: X pipe or h pipe?