Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How stiff are your wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014 | 07:42 AM
foxtrapper
|
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team
Default How stiff are your wheel bearings?

My 04 RK has very stiff wheel bearings, especially the rear. They are dead smooth in their motion, just bloody stiff. I've no Harley background, so I just don't know if this is actually normal for Harley wheel bearings. They move smoothly and quietly and there is no heat buildup when riding. Just darn stiff. There is no casual spinning of the wheels.

Old 11-07-2014 | 08:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Have you checked them in the bike or with the wheel removed? My Buell recently needed new bearings front and rear, but to be honest it was the tyre fitter, not me, who discovered that while installing new tyres.

Old 11-07-2014 | 08:23 AM
foxtrapper
|
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Yes, this is off the bike as well. Perfectly smooth and silent, just quite stiff. Just don't know if this is a weird Harley type thing. Normally, I'd expect the bearings to be loose at this point (10 years and 50+k miles). But, I've been surprised by other things, so I don't want to buy another set of bearings only to find them just as stiff.

Old 11-07-2014 | 09:26 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master

They should spin like a top, with 50k on the clock I would replace them.
Harley # 9247.

Old 11-07-2014 | 09:43 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I would suspect they are permanent bearings with as little grease in them as possible. However, if they have close tolerances they should last awhile.

Old 11-08-2014 | 08:49 AM
dougbk
Road Master

I suspect that whomever installed them pressed the second bearing in too tight against the spacer.

Old 11-08-2014 | 09:07 AM
texaswiz
Banned

Unless you have more info that the bearings are actually failing or showing signs of imminent failure, I say "Ride More & Worry Less".

Old 11-08-2014 | 11:21 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
My 04 RK has very stiff wheel bearings, especially the rear. They are dead smooth in their motion, just bloody stiff. I've no Harley background, so I just don't know if this is actually normal for Harley wheel bearings. They move smoothly and quietly and there is no heat buildup when riding. Just darn stiff. There is no casual spinning of the wheels.

My bike is eight years old with 80K+ and my bearings front and rear on both sides have always been like what your describing. They are still smooth and quiet on the road and have no play nor signs of wear, (seals leaking, play). I've also always done my own work on my scoot so I know it's right. I chalk it up to no high pressure water on the seals when washing. I've read where some here have carefully removed one side seal and repacked the bearing, but have not tried that trick yet. If theirs no play and they feel good to you, run them. I recommend checking them at every tire change.

aka BOB

Old 11-08-2014 | 11:58 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I thought about the inner spacer causing a bind, but after 50K, would think that would have loosened up. Off the bike pretty much eliminates any other binding, and original '04 bearings shouldn't be chinese, so probably not out of tolerance manufacturing. Some kinds of grease will dry to stiff clay consistency; that could cause it. I don't believe in ride till it breaks; any question on wheel bearings, I pull the wheel, pull a seal, and visually inspect. If I'm still not satisfied, I change the bearing. I have cleaned bearings and re-greased them when the bearing itself looked and felt fine when clean and dry, but you can feel the wear and a bit of roughness in a lot of them when they're clean.

For folks that don't have the tools and have to take it to a shop, I understand that could be expensive; if you've had a wheel off, you're only a bearing puller away from having the tools. Unfortunately, cheap bearing pullers don't work well on tight Harley bearings; to do it easy and damage free, one like this is better; I have one, works great.

Amazon.com: HARLEY DAVIDSON WHEEL BEARING REMOVER and INSTALLER TOOL: Automotive Amazon.com: HARLEY DAVIDSON WHEEL BEARING REMOVER and INSTALLER TOOL: Automotive

One last thing - I've seen a lot of bearings with a thin thread of grease on one side of the bearing cage, none actually on the *****. It'll sling out and coat the ***** pretty quick, but you're still putting a full on them dry for a few revolutions. I always check for enough grease (I've found a few bearings with no grease in them!) and rotate them by hand till it's spread on the *****.

Last edited by Imold; 11-08-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2014 | 04:17 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by Imold
I thought about the inner spacer causing a bind, but after 50K, would think that would have loosened up. Off the bike pretty much eliminates any other binding, and original '04 bearings shouldn't be chinese, so probably not out of tolerance manufacturing. Some kinds of grease will dry to stiff clay consistency; that could cause it. I don't believe in ride till it breaks; any question on wheel bearings, I pull the wheel, pull a seal, and visually inspect. If I'm still not satisfied, I change the bearing. I have cleaned bearings and re-greased them when the bearing itself looked and felt fine when clean and dry, but you can feel the wear and a bit of roughness in a lot of them when they're clean.

For folks that don't have the tools and have to take it to a shop, I understand that could be expensive; if you've had a wheel off, you're only a bearing puller away from having the tools. Unfortunately, cheap bearing pullers don't work well on tight Harley bearings; to do it easy and damage free, one like this is better; I have one, works great.

Amazon.com: HARLEY DAVIDSON WHEEL BEARING REMOVER and INSTALLER TOOL: Automotive

One last thing - I've seen a lot of bearings with a thin thread of grease on one side of the bearing cage, none actually on the *****. It'll sling out and coat the ***** pretty quick, but you're still putting a full on them dry for a few revolutions. I always check for enough grease (I've found a few bearings with no grease in them!) and rotate them by hand till it's spread on the *****.

The wheel bearing puller,installer above I actually own. haven't had a chance to use it yet though but its a quality made tool. I bought it to use on my Heritage but sold it before I got a chance.........

Quick Reply: How stiff are your wheel bearings?