Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How stiff are your wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014 | 04:24 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

Never heard of a stiff bearing. I replaced mine at 26K, even though they were good, because I did a new rear tire.

Last edited by 103 sedona orange; 11-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2014 | 04:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine have 45K on them. Just installed front tire. They are tight. Probably some due to seals. Its an effort to take two fingers with wheel off and turn them. However, smooth and free. Most of the time, you are turning both bearings since the spacer is on the inner race. You really have to over torque to damage since one bearing..usually one on disk side or wheel face with groove goes flush and the other is stopped by the spacer. It will turn mounted with caliper off but it stops pretty quick as soon as you release. Had rear off about 5K ago. About the same. If it's smooth and no play, you are fine. If it was damaged and tight, when you turned it, it would fill rough and have tight and loose bumps in it off the bike. Would half to be pretty bad to fill it on bike. Your's does only have single row with thrust in one side of race and may be slightly different. I inspect my seals often and bearing anytime wheel is off. About the only way you can really inspect back.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2014 | 10:30 AM
dougbk
Road Master

I put new wheels on my 06 and pressed the bearing in to tight. The front wheel would not spin freely. Pulled them and put new bearings in and only kissed the spacer when installing the second bearing and now the front tire spins freely like it should. Just my experience.

Old 11-09-2014 | 11:10 AM
SSteve
Advanced

1+ on the tire guy finding a bad wheel bearing, I bought that exact puller and it worked perfect, no problems at all. I have three bearings in the rear of my bike, I didn't think twice about replacing all three. As it turned out, 2 of the three were bad. I reasoned that the third one wasn't far behind and considered it preventive maintenance, proactive if you will.

Old 11-09-2014 | 11:22 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
and rotate them by hand till it's spread on the *****.
Sage advice!!

Back to bearings, that puller is surprisingly good quality for 90 bucks. i have one and use it regularly. Please use anti-seize when assembling dissimilar metals.....

Old 11-09-2014 | 11:29 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

'00 to '07 sealed bearings were the best Harley's ever installed ('08 and later are crap.)

On my '00, I swapped my first set at 100,000 as preventive maintenance but they still looked fine. The second (made in China,) are past 45,000 and still look good too.

I wouldn't worry about it without additional issues.

Old 11-09-2014 | 03:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

When checking wheel bearings by hand/finger it will feel some stiff. It is permanently sealed. Remove the caliper and check it. They will spin some but not very freely like rolling it like a front and it keeps spinning. That won't or can't happen
Turn it and then do it with the caliper on.

Old 11-10-2014 | 07:30 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

this what I would do, lift the bike to hang the wheels, get a can or CRC power lube and put the stray on the can, give each bearing a short spray on crc on the bearing seal, the crc will find its way around the seal and into the actual rollers (just a quick spray, of a few drops), spin the wheel about 20 times.. and then try and spin the wheel, if nothing changes (not easier or harder to spin) and no new noise from the bearing than the bearing is good...if the bearing gets easier to turn then the grease is drying out and the bearing is on the way out (although it may last several thousand miles) and if it gets harder to turn, I don't know what to tell you as it has never happened to me, but I would replace it if it did....

Old 11-16-2014 | 08:04 PM
foxtrapper
|
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Thanks for the input.

Was at a swap meet today, and there were skads of wheels. So I stuck my finger in many a wheel bearing, and all of them were as stiff as mine are. Old, new, dirty, clean, it just didn't seem to matter. They were all stiff.

Old 11-16-2014 | 08:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Did you check any made in 48??? Now I'm worried.

Quick Reply: How stiff are your wheel bearings?