Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RC Components Patriot eclipse wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014 | 05:45 AM
cweiss
|
Road Master
Default RC Components Patriot eclipse wheel

Saw this wheel online and really like the look. I want to know if rc components is a good quality wheel and if anyone has pics of this wheel on a flhx

Old 11-04-2014 | 05:54 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

I like there mufflers !! I think there wheels are Top Notch as well.....

Old 11-04-2014 | 08:13 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I like there mufflers !! I think there wheels are Top Notch as well.....
I have their pipes too, excellent quality.
Their wheels look sharp too, but I still ride on stock wheels.

Old 11-04-2014 | 08:33 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain

I ran RC wheels on my road king for 5 years without a problem, wheels still looked great when I sold it in April. Liked em so much I just bought new RC wheels for my road glide.

Old 11-04-2014 | 09:52 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

RC's wheels are powder coated and raw aluminum compared to all of the other major manufactures whom anodize their wheels. The concern with a powder coated contrast cut wheel is that when the wheel goes back into the CNC machine for second cut (how the raw aluminum is exposed against the black) that metal chips go flying everywhere. This could potentially damage the powder coated finish of the wheel. Picture tiny bits of aluminum flying all over the place on a nice clean surface. Powder coat is great for a single color of if youa re masking a wheel that is already cut but really makes no sense on wheel that has to go back into the CNC machine for second cut.

As far as wheels go there is nothing wrong with RC but for my money I'd choose a Renegade, PM, HogPro, etc that has been anodized. Pricing obviously varies by manufacturer but most everyone's prices are all in the same ball park.

I have had a few of RC eclipse wheels have an excessive amount of tooling marks on the raw aluminum portion of the wheel before but this is not something that always happens. I sent the wheels back to them and they cut me new ones.

This is all personal preference, but realize that you get what you pay for when it comes to wheels. The raw aluminum on an RC wheel would be that of a PM contrast cut wheel, not the same as a Platinum Cut which is hand polished after second cut in order to have a mirror like shine. I realize the price is right for the Patriot series but for the difference of a few hundred dollars I am sure you would be getting a much nicer product.

In this business you really do get what you pay for and if you want the nicest stuff out there it will cost you a little bit more. But that little bit more in person really does make a huge difference. Take it from someone who sells wheels all day every day.

I would like to finish by saying that there is nothing at all wrong with RC's product. I don't mean to confuse you, but it is probably already too late for that. It is solely my personal opinion that there is nicer stuff available design and finish wise. The Patriot series of wheels has been introduced as an affordable series for the hard working man. That I can understand as that is me. But for a few dollars more you can get the Rolex of the wheel world and everyone knows the difference between a Timex and Rolex. Yes, they both tell time (a Timex probably better than a Rolex at least in my experience) however the Rolex is a timeless luxury brand renowned the world over.

I have always found that when I purchase a product as a result of the lower price as sopped to the more expensive item I will eventually buy the pricier product but at a greater cost to myself due to my initial decision to convince myself that the less expensive item is what I want. Say that 3 times fast. What I am trying to say is that if you are on the fence (you are as you started this thread) think about it a bit before pulling the trigger.

I am yet to have a customer ask for any of the Patriot series as they are brand new but I am sure I can make you a fine deal on it if you choose to go that direction. Pm or call for specific pricing as always.

Old 11-08-2014 | 02:54 PM
cweiss
|
Road Master

I definately appreciate the detailed response. I was drawn to that wheel by the design of the wheel. I am still looking at options but that one is a front runner at the moment.

Old 11-10-2014 | 09:22 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cweiss
I definately appreciate the detailed response. I was drawn to that wheel by the design of the wheel. I am still looking at options but that one is a front runner at the moment.
Most people do not care about the specifics but it seemed a perfect opportunity to explain the differences as this kind of information is not something the public regularly hears.

Old 11-10-2014 | 08:49 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain

Kind of a contrast you got going there, when I called I was told Renegade was not one of the favorable choices to go with, also was never informed about the supposed inferior quality of the RC wheels that I ordered. I have had a good experience with my former RC czar wheels and like the new raider wheel I will be putting on my road glide. Bottom line is you pick what you like, but if something does go wrong with the wheel in the next 7 years due to poor chroming ect, you can bet your azz I will be sending them back and RC will be fixing it.

Old 11-10-2014 | 09:08 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have a set of RC wheels, Viper model. I bought them in summer 2009. Recently when I mounted a car tire on the wheel, it wouldn't hold air. When I took the tire off myself I found some corrosion spots along the bead of the rim and air was bypassing the seal by escaping under the chrome plating. I contacted RC about it and they told me the rims were covered by their warranty for 7 years. I'll be sending the wheel in this winter to be reworked. In the meantime, I ground the corrosion off, gave it a coating of Rustoleum paint, applied a bead sealer and remounted the tire. It's been holding air fine since.

Old 11-11-2014 | 12:32 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09BlueRoadKing
Kind of a contrast you got going there, when I called I was told Renegade was not one of the favorable choices to go with, also was never informed about the supposed inferior quality of the RC wheels that I ordered. I have had a good experience with my former RC czar wheels and like the new raider wheel I will be putting on my road glide. Bottom line is you pick what you like, but if something does go wrong with the wheel in the next 7 years due to poor chroming ect, you can bet your azz I will be sending them back and RC will be fixing it.
The chrome wheel is different Sonny. They have a 7 year chrome warranty which is the best in the industry. The black wheels are a little bit different and not low quality, just have a different style of finish than a lot of the other wheels that are out there.

The Patriot series are designed as a less expensive option that their regular wheels and I am unable to get an answer as to why but my guess is that they probably take less machine time and polishing than some of the other wheels. Don't get me wrong here, but if you were to order a black RC wheel from me I would take the time to explain how it is made if you asked and explain the difference.

When i sell a part that I have had an issue with in the past i will let my customer know as I do not want any surprises.

Quick Reply: RC Components Patriot eclipse wheel