Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14& up touring air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014 | 07:53 PM
av ultra
|
Road Captain
Default 14& up touring air shocks

So this morning I went to my local dealer to test ride the 15 cvo roadglide (demo day) comparing it to my eg ultra there is not enough upside to trade my eg in BUT the rear shocks are 100 times better then my 10 shocks.
Much to my surprise the cvo has the same rear air shocks as the ultra and limited, The owner of the dealership told me the 14 and up air shocks are a big improvement over the 13 and back shocks, anybody know about this?

Old 11-02-2014 | 07:58 PM
Shep68
Road Master

I read a lot of complaints about rear air shocks, but I have no problems with them. Ride is comfortable and adjustable to meet different loads. Zero kidney or back issues. Wouldn't surprise me if they were upgraded for the Rushmore's because all you read around here is how folks hate those air shocks on the earlier models.

Last edited by Shep68; 11-02-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2014 | 07:59 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain

don't buy into it look them up a 2010 and a 2015 rear shock is the same part number.

Old 11-02-2014 | 08:37 PM
av ultra
|
Road Captain

Wonder if the shocks have been superseded to the new ones, I'm going back Tuesday to do some research, gotta be a reason why those shocks felt worlds better.

Old 11-03-2014 | 03:29 AM
wanderlust64
Advanced

As far as I know, the RG CVO has the premium hand adjustable shocks, just like the RG Special I was going to buy.

Old 11-03-2014 | 03:49 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wanderlust64
As far as I know, the RG CVO has the premium hand adjustable shocks, just like the RG Special I was going to buy.
Yes and no.

CVO bikes come with the 13" Premium Hand Adjustable shocks, the RGS and SGS come with the 12" Premium LOW Hand Adjustable shocks

I have a set of the 13" on my Limited, and they are night and day over the air shocks....

And the air shocks haven't changed since '09

Old 11-03-2014 | 09:41 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

I don't know if they are different or not, but I do know that when I stepped off my 2011 and rode my buddy's new 2014 there was a night and day difference in the way the rear shocks felt. In fact, the front and rear suspension were the only differences I even noticed.

OP please post up whatever your find out.

Old 11-03-2014 | 10:05 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by av ultra
The owner of the dealership told me the 14 and up air shocks are a big improvement over the 13 and back shocks, anybody know about this?
If this is true, I cannot imagine how bad the pre-14's were in this regard.

Seriously, I couldn't remove the stock suspenders from the rear of my '14 Limited fast enough. On a bike of this price, this (poor quality) level of suspension on the rear is an obvious margin-creator for the Mo-Co.

That said, I have three other bikes in the garage that have aftermarket suspension, so I'm not exactly neutral on this subject.

All the best,

Shane

Old 11-03-2014 | 11:00 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

The premium hand adjustables are a nice step up from the base air shocks. They ride smoother and keep the rear tire in better contact with the road.

I upgraded the air shocks on my 12 Street Glide, and appreciate the improvement.

It is a 10 minute job, once you get the rear tire off the ground. Just unconnect the air lines (push-pull) and take off the two bolts.

Just like the air shocks, best results are gotten by adjusting them depending on the load. You turn a **** instead of adding/releasing air.

I believe there are even better shocks available on the aftermarket, but that many people will be pleased enough with these hand adjustables.

Old 11-03-2014 | 12:30 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

what is a stock new CVO doing with air shocks on it?

Quick Reply: 14& up touring air shocks