Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14& up touring air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014 | 06:50 PM
pkwett94
Tourer

They may look the same but until you cut them open you will never know what was done on the inside.

Old 11-24-2014 | 07:23 PM
digdug
Tourer

I have a 2013 SG and the only issue I had with the stock air shocks is.....they SUCK!!!

Old 11-28-2014 | 02:09 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

OK so the verdict is in. I received the shocks this morning and it's going to rain here for the next three days so I installed them.

First, visually they are identical. I measured the shaft on both the old and new and they measured exactly the same.

I put twenty lbs of air (per the manual for my weight and no cargo) in the 2011 shocks and rode for about five miles which included a road near here with a bunch of stutter bumps. The stock shocks sucked as usual.

I installed the 2014 shocks (which looked brand new) and rode the same route. They felt different and sucked less (slightly firmer just like my buddy's 2014). However, The difference was subtle and not tremendously better. It was a little better.

I don't believe there is any difference in the valving or construction of these shocks. I believe that they either went to the heavier oil, or the difference I noticed was due to the fact that these shocks only have a few hundred miles on them and my stock shocks have 13K.

Given the choice I would not do this again, I would change the oil in the original shocks. On a better note, while I was in the neighborhood I installed a new set of Lyndall brake pads and after they seated in the seem to work pretty well.

Most of my riding on this bike is two up so if the back seat notices a difference I'll let you all know.

Last edited by dribble; 11-28-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2014 | 07:39 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dribble
OK so the verdict is in. I received the shocks this morning and it's going to rain here for the next three days so I installed them.

First, visually they are identical. I measured the shaft on both the old and new and they measured exactly the same.

I put twenty lbs of air (per the manual for my weight and no cargo) in the 2011 shocks and rode for about five miles which included a road near here with a bunch of stutter bumps. The stock shocks sucked as usual.

I installed the 2014 shocks (which looked brand new) and rode the same route. They felt different and sucked less (slightly firmer just like my buddy's 2014). However, The difference was subtle and not tremendously better. It was a little better.

I don't believe there is any difference in the valving or construction of these shocks. I believe that they either went to the heavier oil, or the difference I noticed was due to the fact that these shocks only have a few hundred miles on them and my stock shocks have 13K.

Given the choice I would not do this again, I would change the oil in the original shocks. On a better note, while I was in the neighborhood I installed a new set of Lyndall brake pads and after they seated in the seem to work pretty well.

Most of my riding on this bike is two up so if the back seat notices a difference I'll let you all know.

So, the answer is.... we still don't know. Damn-it. I was hoping for some real proof that the MOCO upgraded or redesigned these worthless bags of crap they have been installing on 20-Plus thousand dollar motorcycles. I guess we will just have to wait. I am stuck in the nefarious position of keeping the stock air shocks because of a "heavy passenger" scenario coupled with an innate desire for a lowered stance. I wish I could just call Motorcycle-Metal and order a 13 inch shock, but that is just not an option right now. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait a little longer for a solution.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-28-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2014 | 10:57 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

In a similar situation. I purchased a set of take off premium hand adjustable 12" shocks and found them to be far superior to the air adjustable. Much better ride, better handling and easy to turn them up when a passenger comes along. They have a chart so you know how many turns to do depending on total ladened weight.

Sold the stock shocks to someone wanting to lower their Road King. Ended up just costing a couple hundred dollars to make the switch.

I ride 50/50 with a passenger, so need to adjust the shocks quite often. With the hand adjustables it takes less than a minute, and needs no tools or pumps.

I painted a white line on the **** to make counting turns easier. 3 turns for me, and 5 more when G/F comes along.

Old 11-29-2014 | 09:40 AM
95ci springer
Tourer

Anyone that says they ride the same, did you check the air pressure? With that being asked, I put progressive shocks, front and rear, on my springer and DID NOT notice any difference. A total waste of money!

Old 12-07-2014 | 02:30 PM
sharps45100
Cruiser

I have a '14 Limited that I put '14 SGS hand adjustable shocks on I got from a friend who bought progressive shocks. Yes they are 12" shocks so it lowers the back an inch. I have rode some with them but need more saddle time to actually tell if they will be better, to cold to ride. Many folks on here say you have to lower front as well but I disagree. If I or the wife don't like them then I will put air shocks back on.