Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody pastidip Ultra rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 03:53 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Default anybody pastidip Ultra rims

I hate my Ultra brushed aluminum rims. they are stained beyond repair and no amount of elbow grease will fix them. Would plastidip hold up on these rims. Anybody ever do this on ultra rims

Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 840 Likes on 316 Posts

I "dipped" mine last winter. They were in pretty poor shape like you mentioned, too. Rode about 10k this season and they look fine. One time I had to put it on a trailer <hangs head in shame, cuz trailers are for boats> and ran a strap through the front spokes. It rubbed some of it off, but I gave it a shot of Plasti-Dip when I got it home and you can hardly tell there was a blemish.

Tip: I recommend that you mask off the tires to avoid getting Plasti-Dip on them. It doesn't hurt the tires, but you can see where you've sprayed it on the tires. You can see the over-spray in the photos below if you look close. Just a little bit more shiny than the rest of the tire. Kind of a PITA to take if off the tires. Don't ask how I know that.

I was in the hardware store the other day and they now have Day-Glo orange Plasti-Dip. I don't know exactly when/where I'd use it on the bike, but I'm going to try to figure out a reason to squirt some on it. It comes off of chrome, aluminum and paint without damaging a thing, so the possibilities are intriguing. Might hafta "dip" a big orange lightning bolt on the side of the tank or something.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...asti_Dip_Blaze

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 11-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:51 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I did my truck rims a year ago with no issues.

It was simple to peel back off my tires on the truck, just have to put it on thick.

Also, a Mother's PowerBall Mini or PowerCone and Wenol will clean those rims up...
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05141.html or http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05146.html

and

www.http://wenol-polish.com/wenolred.html

Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
I "dipped" mine last winter.
You should try dipping your forks....

Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 840 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You should try dipping your forks....
I did. I discovered that even a thick coat of Plasti-Dip is susceptible to the occasional gouge or nick, so I applied a layer of undercoat to the forks. Did the same to the crash bars because I am known to rest my boots on the top while riding. That scratched some Plasti-Dip off, too. Even with the undercoating on it, it still can come off with just the right (wrong?) application of force.

FWIW, the undercoat makes it more difficult to remove. It doesn't peel off like plain ol' Plasti-Dip.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:36 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm debating if I'm going ALL black... I just added a touch of chrome to my inner.

Thinking of doing the passenger floorboard covers, and leave the concho chrome.

Luggage rack I think will have to be PC'd or purchased, along with hinges/latches maybe...

Old 11-01-2014, 06:43 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

thx for the responses. im thinking of trying my saddlebag guards first for some practice. seems like it would be pretty straight forward since they are easy to remove. I dislike the chrome look but i like the protection they give the saddlebags. i really dont want to spend a grand for rims so this plasti dip is growing on me

Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I did my daughters car rims a few months ago. Goes on super easy and looks good. I would agree its easier to tape off the tires than to apply it thick enough to peel off.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:45 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Plastic dip is very handy. I did my trailer wheels first then my super glide. Touch up on wheels is easy to do. I will admit very durable. When I went to chrome front wheel I removed the coating on the rear. I use a power washer with 4,500 psi. Wheel remover. Some of it was a real pain to get off. Once started I was able to pull some of it off with my hand, peeling. Some of it I had to use the power washer with a 40 degree end. I felt the 25 degree,was too much \.

Don't want it peeling or coming off, rhino spray coating. Never have to worry about it again.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 11-01-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by EG-2006
I did my daughters car rims a few months ago. Goes on super easy and looks good. I would agree its easier to tape off the tires than to apply it thick enough to peel off.
6 coats on the rims, it came off my tires like big rubber bands.

And my tires have ridged sidewalls.

Quick Reply: anybody pastidip Ultra rims