Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought klock werks 8.5 to replace LRS 10, not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 AM
RaceRadio
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have both the 8.5" Klock Werks and a 10" LRS Windblade. I'm 5'8", and can see over both, although I would not go taller than the 10" shield.

I like both of them, but for long rides the LRS Windblade is the clear winner for me. I've been fighting the buffeting problem ever since I got my 2011 Limited. I was comfortable at highway speeds with the Klock Werks and a set of Harley fangs on the forks. Once I got the Windblade, I was able to remove the fangs. I like that the Windblade is wider at the top. That makes a difference for me.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 6.5" and a 8.5" kW. The 8.5" works nicely and stops my glasses from flickering up and down at 80mph it works nicely. The 6.5" is a good shield also but I typically wear a bandana when riding on the highway with it. The wind behind the 6.5" shield isn't bad but for me it just enought to make my Oakleys dance a bit. The 6.5" looks great on my bike while IMO the 8.5" is so so. My bike is black so I buy the solid black shields, distortion is not an issue for me becouse I can't see through them which is the way I like it!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 AM
bigbluewolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I suggest that you get the wind deflector that goes between the forks to help with the wind as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 PM
adelii
Cruiser

I also have the little deflector that goes inbetween the forks.

its weird how guys iver 6 feet have the 6.5" and dont feel buffeting. i must be abnormally long in the torso or something.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Wideglide103
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adelii
I also have the little deflector that goes inbetween the forks.

its weird how guys iver 6 feet have the 6.5" and dont feel buffeting. i must be abnormally long in the torso or something.
That and maybe your riding position is more upright. I'm 6'3 but really slouch when riding vs. sitting more upright. I think that's why it's so important to determine where the top of the windshield is for you. Not everyone will be the same, because like you stated body types can differ.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Wideglide103
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluewolf
I'll jump in and respond. I have the 6.5 KW and 12" MBB and there definitely are no fitment issues. Incidentally, at one point I had the 8.5 KW and the 6.5 KW. I purchased the 8.5 first and it provided a little cleaner pocket...If I were a smoker, I could smoke behind that thing. However, with the 6.5 I feel just enough to where its pleasant and doesn't feel as if the wind is tugging at my helmet. I could have kept the 8.5 but I didn't really care for the taller look very much. Also for reference, I'm 6'2.
Originally Posted by sfcmo357
No issues even when I had them pushed forward. Mine are rotated back about an inch now for my own comfort
Thanks for the replies. Time to look for a 6 1/2" KWH. Really like the look of them.
I have an 8" regular shield now and I do get some wind buffeting but it seems to be from dirty air coming from under or around the tank and have thought about the fork deflectors. To the OP, do you think the wind deflectors would help in your case?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 PM
adelii
Cruiser

I have the stick wind deflectors on the fairing. and i have the deflector in between the forks. I wonder if the lower fairings bounce air back at me under tank. my buffeting experiment shall continue

Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

adelli, I wouldn't want you to be unhappy, so I'll make you happy buy buying that 8.5 KW from you...depending on the price new...versus the price you'd be willing to sell it. If it's not that dark tint that you can't see through

Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

request for a sticky--" wind buffeting solutions"

I think the moderators need to have a sticky with the above title. I keep seeing failed attempts to reduce and eliminate wind buffeting. Since I have posted many many times that very often wind buffeting the riders head is from below the forks not the windshield configuration.

I ride a 5 inch stock SGS windshield with no buffeting at all because I installed the "fangs" AKA wind deflectors on my bike. Pre fangs, I could not see in front of me past 60 mph due to intense buffeting due to wind. It solved cross winds/ wind from the front and tailwinds. I had previously done this to another cruiser I owned and it worked great to eliminate buffeting on that ride also.

Moderator: Lets get a sticky so riders can benefit from others who have solved the buffeting problem. Thanks
DSCF1555.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Bought klock werks 8.5 to replace LRS 10, not impressed-dscf1555.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
request for a sticky--" wind buffeting solutions"
very often wind buffeting the riders head is from below the forks not the windshield configuration.

I ride a 5 inch stock SGS windshield with no buffeting at all because I installed the "fangs" AKA wind deflectors on my bike. It solved cross winds/ wind from the front and tailwinds.
I agree....90% of it is coming from beneath...and once I added the new style fangs...it nearly all left. But ppl would still post the question...even with a sticky. It would be like asking folks to use the search function.
I cringe when ppl are told to go taller....hey---Go taller. I went taller and it forced more wind underneath---I figured out the fangs/wind deflector back in 2004 on my Deluxe

Last edited by sfcmo357; 10-29-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought klock werks 8.5 to replace LRS 10, not impressed