Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto head pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Chief1102
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Moto head pipe install

Reading the instructions for the ceramic coated fuel moto head pipe, it says to basically avoid handling the pipe with bare hands I presume to avoid the transfer of oils that might discolor the pipe. On completion of the install, should I take any precautions like wiping it down with a microfiber work cloth to remove any finger/hand prints? Should I use any type of alcohol (like de-natured, not bourbon!) to clean the surface? Or is it much worry about nothing?

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:09 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Oily finger prints will make perminant markets on the pipes. Anything that evaporates will work to clean before you first start it.

Batman

Old 10-26-2014, 05:33 PM
PoconoPA
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per advice from guys at MGS, I used Windex after installing my pipes. Just make sure to wipe a few times. Knock on wood, no issues and I have been handling them a fair bit.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:43 PM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, wipe it down as well as the heat shields.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:24 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,744 Likes on 797 Posts

Or you could buy a few pairs of mechanic's latex gloves, and avoid the issue altogether...

Old 10-26-2014, 07:35 PM
NoHpBagger
Cruiser

Any external parts installed on any bike should be wiped down before being ridden/run. With or w out gloves you will get dirt and grime including oils on the parts just from handling the items so any quik evaporating cleaner will avoid discoloration from these and heat. I use brake clean personally even on painted surfaces(make sure not to leave on there for long) and spray wax wipe down afterwards is a plus but not necessary.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Chief1102
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, all, for the replies. This forum is a great source of info!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 PM
hanny
Road Captain

whatever you do you are bond to get something on them. Latex gloives will leave stuff to. I would use some cloth gloves and then use windex or bkrae cleaner to really wipe down every bit of them before you start it. And in the future if you touch them in anyway or get oil or anything on them clean them again. good luck, and you are spot on with the forum........ they will save you a lot of trouble

Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

We have just released a new video that covers the complete install of the Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe on 2009-2015 FLH models. It goes over everything start to finish from removing the factory exhaust to installing the Jackpot pipes and heat shields. The video can be viewed here:

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We have just released a new video that covers the complete install of the Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe on 2009-2015 FLH models. It goes over everything start to finish from removing the factory exhaust to installing the Jackpot pipes and heat shields. The video can be viewed here:

Jackpot 2/1/2 Installation Harley FLH Fuel Moto head pipe header exhaust - YouTube

I just watched the video and didn't know there is a gasket where the cross over mates up to the JP pipe under the bike. Can cause decel pops if not installed properly.

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto head pipe install