Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What's this noise?

I have a 2001 Road King with 32,500 miles on it. Last year, I hada ton of engine work done after the cam chain tensioners crapped out. I had to replace everything from cams, cam assemblies, cam chains, oil pump and had to have the casings resealed at the base because of an oil leak. All of the work was doneby the local H-Ddealer.

I have noticed a noise recently that I thought sounded like chain noise. It is noticeable when I decelerate and the tach hits 2,000 rpm. It's like clockwork. Everytime it hits 2,000 rpm, I hear it. Hot or cold, doesn't matter; it does it everytime.

I took it in for servicing and the dealer said everything was normal. Theyadjusted the primary chain, but the noise is still there. I read on this forum that loose heat shield clamps sometimes can make a noise, but I've tightened and retightened them, so I'm sure that's not the problem.

The sound is predominently coming from the right side of the engine and seems to be coming from the heads. Anybody out there have a guess as to what I'm hearing? If it's valve noise, do I just put up with it or get louder pipes?