Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade

I've got an '06 RK Classic and yes, the passing lamps are the "new" version you can stickthe 880ST bulb into.

Auto Zone had the headlight bulb, but was out of the passing lamps. I bought the headlight and nowI've got a bright white center light and two dingy yellowish passing bulbs! It is quite a noticeable difference...

Edmo

Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 PM
GreighWolf
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade

ORIGINAL: dchoran

880 SilverStar Fog light
[/align]High Performance Halogen Fog light - part number: 880ST
[/align]

565 27watts ~4000K (wattage same as stock)
There is also a 893ST that is 37.5 watts - but that is 40% more load. No idea if that is excessive.
on a dc circuit, watts = volts x amps. Having the watts, and knowing the voltage, you can figure the amperage by dividing the watts by the volts. So........

27w/12vdc= 2.25amps
37.5w/12vdc= 3.125amps
a difference of .875 per lamp.

I'd be more concerned with matching the brightness... but that's just me.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
4DZTOY
Advanced

Dave....I looked into this a while back and dropped it when I found out Sylvania didn't make an 881ST. If I remember correctly the stock 881 has a 90 degree socket on the bulb and the 880 is straight out....I just figured the lamp housing wasn't deep enough to clear the socket and harness connector... I'll have to get back on this project...

I even thought for awhile of going to a Silverstar in the headlight and amber "Ion" bulbs from PIAA in the passing lightsto get some contrast....I thought that might be even more visible....but PIAA didn't have an Ion in an 881

Thanks for doing the leg work on this....I shouldn't have given up so soon!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, fellas, I put a H4ST in my other bike last year and was disappointed with visibility in the daylight. Didn't realize it until someone told me it looked like my headlight wasn't on. My passing lamps were not changed, so they were still "yellow" and made the H4ST look dim in daylight. At night, the H4ST was great, but in the daytime I had to keep my headlight on high beam to be easily visible.

Personally, I think having the headlight be an H4ST on bright during day with "yellow" passing lamps makes you very visible during the daytime. At night, just dim the headlight if you have to and the H4ST still gives better light.

But, be careful using the H4ST during daytime unless you switch to high beam.

That's been my experience.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 06 has the 68348-05 but they utilize an H8 bulb which isn't plug compatible with the 880ST that I've seen on line.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4DZTOY

Dave....I looked into this a while back and dropped it when I found out Sylvania didn't make an 881ST. If I remember correctly the stock 881 has a 90 degree socket on the bulb and the 880 is straight out....I just figured the lamp housing wasn't deep enough to clear the socket and harness connector... I'll have to get back on this project...
4DZ:

Just removed one of the passing lamps from the '07 Ultra, and it too has the 881 style lamp with a right angle base. Not sure if there's room for the straight base of the 880ST, but sure would be great if there was!

[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 04-14-2007, 12:42 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

TATERDOG: I don't know, fellas, I put a H4ST in my other bike last year and was disappointed with visibility in the daylight. Didn't realize it until someone told me it looked like my headlight wasn't on. My passing lamps were not changed, so they were still "yellow" and made the H4ST look dim in daylight. At night, the H4ST was great, but in the daytime I had to keep my headlight on high beam to be easily visible.

Personally, I think having the headlight be an H4ST on bright during day with "yellow" passing lamps makes you very visible during the daytime. At night, just dim the headlight if you have to and the H4ST still gives better light.

But, be careful using the H4ST during daytime unless you switch to high beam.

Always a good thing to hear the other side of the story.

Anyopinions or facts on tater's comments??? Most of us ride indaylight.Has our daytime visibility actually declined with all Silverstars??? Concerned.

Dave H.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 PM
spider626
Cruiser

I did the silverstar in my headlight,really lights up great, way better then stock light.going to do the passing lamps next

Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I wish I could find another bike that had added this mod to their headlight to see if it's just my bike, but I know after I was told how mine looked, I pulled in front of a large store front during the daytime and agree my headlight was much dimmer than my "yellow light" passing lamps. When I put my high beam on, then the headlight was very visible. This bike is rigged so that the passing lamps stay on when my high beam is on, so during daytime I just ride around that way.

I'd recommend to anyone installing this mod to pull in front of a large store front in the daytime to see what your bike looks like so you'll know what cars see. Again, maybe it's just my bike, maybe even the aim of the headlight, so don't just go by what I say.

At night, the H4ST provides great improvement in lighting.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Dave, great info. I already have the H4 in my headlight, after reading your post I went out and purchased the 880st's for my passing lamps but I didn't install them. Here's why: I realized that the yellowish stock halogens were actually more visable to oncoming traffic in daylight than the whiter light coming from the H4 in my headlight. I've come to the conclusion that whiter may not mean "safer". The silverstars may be better at night but during the day I think they are harder to see.
I asked about 10 different people which looked more visable and they all picked the stock bulbs.

Quick Reply: WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade