Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gunrunner
Just keep a eye on the silverstars they have a high falure rate due to vibration in harleys.
Nah, I have been using them for about five years now. The failure rate isn't high it's just that motorcycles have their headlight on all the time and these super bright bulbs have a short life cycle. I get about a year and a half out of them. 20.00 every 18 months or so beats the heck out of 500.00 for some of the alternatives. They work and they are cheap. You just end up changing the headlight a bit more often than you would with the alternatives.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Avmech97
I have the Silverstars on my RG and they do a great job of lighting up the road but they don't seem to be as durable as the oem bulbs were. I just had one of mine fail after less than a year in service. I'm hopin it was a fluke and not the norm as many of my fellow RG riders know that sharknose fairing can be a pain to reinstall. Ride safe !
Did you bother reading the expected lifecycle on these bulbs? It's less than a quarter of the factory bulb. The tradeoff is they light up the road. Keep a spare in your saddle bag.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't locate them on either the Auto Zone or Advance Auto web site.
Must have missed something.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jay72
WIll the bulbs fit an '09 ultra. This might have been answered earlier but idf it was, I missed it.
Get a 9003/H4 Sylvania Ultra bulb for your headlight. Wally World has a two pack for about $50.

Search e bay for this "Xenon White 5000K HID 894 12V" by best price. SB under $10 for two bulbs free shipping. If you don't get these your headlight will be WHITE and your spots will look dim and yellow. These match in color with no blue tint in output light. I bought 2 sets.

If you touch any of the bulbs on the glass with your fingers and do not clean it with alcohol it will burn out sooner. If you cheat on this it will burn out sooner. Only YOU know if you touched it. If you think you did clean it. I handle mine with a new paper towel for each bulb.

Make sure you adjust your high beam up to the highest point in the range. This will make your low beam show up much better during the day. Get someone to look at it down the road and adjust up if needed. Mine was pointing at the ground 8 feet in front of the bike.

You can clean the haze inside of your spots and headlamp if you do it carefully and use demineralized water to rinse them (alcohol may work). If you touch the chrome mirror reflector inside the lamp housings you will rub the chrome off. It is a very soft and very thin aluminum coating so be carefull. Just the cloth rubbing on it will remove the coating.

Ride safe and enjoy being able to see at night.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I am buying mine today at Harbor Freight, $5.99 each. This will replace the sylvania h4 that burned out after only 3 months.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

It burned out in three months I suspect you got finger prints on it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some one said it on page 3...
During the day I run on High, at night I lower it when someone flashes their brights to me. Other wise screw em.
Hey, People see me.

So how much brighter can these silverstars be?
The ones I see in peoples cages look blue but not bright

Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

dchoran, if you really want to wake up the headlight, you can use the E-code headlight. it's made for the european market and there are two companies that make the housing. hella is one and cibie is the other. a lot of the jeep guys are using the hella e code headlights because they focus the light down your lane rather than spreading it out all over the place. the nice thing about them is the headlights are cheap. $40+ bucks and all glass. the reflector and lens are far superior to our plastic stockers. using the silverstar bulb in the hella E-code housing makes it really sharp, crisp, and illuminates the road far better. like day and night between stock even if you're using the better bulb. susquehanna motorsports in fleetwood pa sells them. i've been using one in my 08 streetglide and two smaller ones in my 08 triumph rocket III classic. a huge improvement in both bikes.