Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i concur. great light output, but i've gone thru two of them in the past 18 months. thats just not long enough to me. i just picked up a PIAA bulb and going to try it out now. they cost about twice as much, but hopefully i get more life out of them compared to the silverstars.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Originally Posted by rock92
i concur. great light output, but i've gone thru two of them in the past 18 months. thats just not long enough to me. i just picked up a PIAA bulb and going to try it out now. they cost about twice as much, but hopefully i get more life out of them compared to the silverstars.

if it costs 2x as much, but only lasts 2x as long, then you're still basically at the same point....

Old 12-17-2008, 09:46 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting I think that I will look into it, you can't have to much light.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up. I replaced the light in my Dyna with a higher watt buld like that and it bubbled the chrome on the inside of the light (reflector I guess). The light was aftermarket, Cobra something I think. Took it back to Eastern, the replaced it, did it again 3 days later. I switched back to the stock HD reflector (still the cobra shell) and it looks fine, also a better light spread. Just a heads up for those with different light fixtures.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Interesting Thread always looking for brighter lights without pulling more juice from the Voltage system ...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see this thread active again too. Actual 1st-hand experience is a wonderful teacher.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:37 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder why so many of you have the Silverstars burn out.

My H4ST was installed almost two years ago.

That is 14,000 miles.

AND with a CONSTANT Kisan headlight modulator to boot.

Maybe the repeated, 160 times a minute, high/low beam switching makes them last longer

Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

It does make ya' wonder. The filament in bulbs typically fails sooner if power fluctuates but maybe the filament in Ultras is more prone to fail due to high-heat instead of current fluctuations. The modulator would lower overall average current and thereby would reduce average heat. Maybe you are onto a something here even though it does conflict with traditional "wisdom".

Old 12-20-2008, 05:31 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

So are the Silverstars junk or not, seems like the feedback is all over the place, I plan to do a Fastharley HID but want more light in the mean time til I am ready for the HID. Which Silverstar or PIAA or something else?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 PM
djamann
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
the spots use the right angle bulb
I don't believe Silverstar makes one. At least I couldn't find it. But now, apparently, Walters Work Shop has one in Xenon.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I have a 2007 road king with stock passing lamps. Some people say the H3 work and others say the 9003. From pictures, they are very different. I know my 05 had sealed beams, but I haven't opened my 07 up yet to check what it really has. I just ordered the H4ST for my headlight and want to upgrade my passing lamps too so I would appreciate some clarification if it could be had.

Thanks so much for all the info

Quick Reply: WOW - light up your day/nite - SILVERSTARS on an '05 Ultra - SIMPLE upgrade