Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty throttle position sensor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014 | 01:31 PM
TriGeezer
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Faulty throttle position sensor wiring

Just a warning for something you may want to check out. Our 2012 Ultra Classic TriGlide was enroute to Morro Bay, when I lost throttle in cow country. I could start it up, but got absolutely no throttle.

In another thread, I detailed the entire experience. But, the short story was that the pins in the connector at the throttle position sensor (behind the AC) were corroded and fried. The dealer that did the work, claimed this was common, and that Harley has tried several time to fix it. As a testimony to the frequency of occurrence, the dealer had 12 repair kits in stock.

So, from now on, as part of my oil change frequency check over, I am going to unplug this connector and examine the pins and wires. You may want to do the same as a 1 minute preventative measure could save a lot of aggravation.

Old 10-24-2014 | 03:45 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

I put t Penatrox on all my plugs it prevents moisture and corrosion.

Old 10-24-2014 | 05:03 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I have seen the wires under the sheathing break and cause this issue once the bike is hot. My had an issue for a long time and we were talking to an HD mechanic one sunday and he said check the wires under the sheathing. Sure enough one was frayed enough that when it would get hot it would lose contact.

He soldered it up and it has been fine ever since. It always a good idea to put some dielectric grease on that connector plug as well.

Old 10-24-2014 | 06:06 PM
TriGeezer
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Good points about the dielectric grease grease. Gonna do that.

Oh yeah...I forgot to add that my Trike motor gets darn hot!! That might have contributed to my problem.

Old 10-24-2014 | 08:39 PM
jack6hd
Tourer

I had problems with mine on an overnight trip. It took a little while to figure out that a bad connection in the plug was the problem. An auto parts store was handy and I was able to clean it with alcohol and put some dielectric grease on it and away I went.

Old 10-24-2014 | 10:32 PM
Copyless
Supporter

It is kind of amazing that this is happening, I mean I am almost positive that there was a TSB or something put out about this problem several years ago. It was before your trike was even built, but it did address this exact same "fretting" problem. I want to say the bulletin was sent out in '10 but it could have been '11. I know it didn't include your trike, because it didn't exist yet, but it should have been corrected at the build or at least addressed at the dealership.

The bulletin stated to pull the plug and inspect the pins for any signs of fretting, and if it showed signs, then replace the pins and apply dielectric grease to the plug. If it showed no signs of fretting, then apply dielectric grease to the plug.