Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amber brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014 | 04:43 PM
jmn1960
|
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scglide
I have been running amber on mine for a couple years with no problems.
Steve
you are running amber brake lights ? or just amber running lights?

Old 10-22-2014 | 10:28 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it is a DOT regulation that brake lights be red.

Old 10-22-2014 | 10:39 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand on the rear supposed to be red for brake and running lights, turn signals can be red or yellow. Brake and running are not supposed to be yellow. I read that some place related to DOT requirements.

The front supposed to be Yellow for signals and running, or white. Sides are yellow running lights if I remember correctly.

Old 10-22-2014 | 10:46 PM
Onramp
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gotta be red

When I put my LEDs on the Bike, Custom Dynamics said the brake lights gotta be red. Just make them red. We face too many issues with cages - don't give them any reason to make a mistake, especially if you have to brake really hard for something. Make them red.

Pat

Old 10-22-2014 | 11:28 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on your state's laws ... Here's the Maryland Code. You can probably find your states code online.

MD Transp Code § 22-219 (2013)
(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under the Maryland Vehicle Law, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle, which:
  1. Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber ...
  2. May, but need not, be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.
(b) Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under § 22-206(b) of this subtitle, shall be equipped with electric turn signals ...

(c) The lamps showing to the front ... shall emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber.

(d) The lamps showing to the rear ... shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber.

(h) Turn signal lamps may, but need not, be incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.
Those are the rules. Next thing is deciding what you want to do.

I put the module in and left the turn signals amber. My logic is: (1) Drivers are used to seeing red and that meaning stop. When I brake, they get red from the tail light but they also see amber from the turn signals lighting up. I think this might get a little more attention because it is unusual. Extra attention is good and they know I am stopping because of the brake light. (2) For the turn signals, I do not want it to be unusual because I want them to know exactly what I am about to do without them having to think about it - my amber turn signals mean exactly what the driver thinks they mean. I'd rather they not be red and, just maybe, the driver thinks I am only slowing down in my lane.

I don't have hard facts to back this all up, but it makes sense to me and it's legal in my state. I tucked a copy of the MD code citation in my registration folder just in case I get stopped while out of state. Hasn't happened yet.

Here's another tidbit ... in Maryland, motorcycles aren't even required to have turn signals.

Old 10-23-2014 | 05:11 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,089 Posts

If you really wish to beat your brains out over this issue, this is the national standard for motor vehicle illumination: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...sec571-108.pdf

In a simple nut shell, brake lights have to be red. You have a red brake light. You also have amber brake lights. Those are not legal. But, since you have a red center brake light, it's very unlikely you'll ever have a hassle over it.

Side bonus, if you actually read this federal standard, you'll find the requirements for headlight flashers/modulators. Then you'll know that one too.

Old 10-23-2014 | 08:31 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

On my CVO Road King I have the smoked visor lenses both front and rear with run turn brake module. The rear bulbs are red. (jp cycles) could not find them at any parts store. Did not want to put the red lenses on the back. To make the lenses appear darker than they really are I painted the inside reflective area of the turn signals (front and rear) a darker gray color with a small artists brush. Gives the signals a blacked out look, but the bulbs show up nice and bright when they are in use. Have done this to the last couple of bikes and always get asked where I got the blacked out lenses.

Old 10-23-2014 | 08:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:49 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
If you get hit from behind it could cause problems with your insrance or the person who hit you. You now have some culpability which could cost you $$$.
This is most of your answer, because we get rear-ended a lot.

Even if you live in a state that allows amber stops (as Md apparently does) you are at risk of a driver getting sympathy from a cop, jury, or insurance company because you did not have red brake lights. I believe virtually every driver on US roads would say brake lights are red. That makes this a bad idea.

The rest of the answer is doubt amber brake lights are as effectice as red at keeping you safe. But I may be pretty sensitive to this -- since my bro got rear-ended and injured. I use a BAL set on bright. Works great.

Old 10-23-2014 | 04:54 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
It depends on your state's laws ... Here's the Maryland Code. You can probably find your states code online.

MD Transp Code § 22-219 (2013)
(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under the Maryland Vehicle Law, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle, which:
  1. Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber ...
  2. May, but need not, be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.
(b) Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under § 22-206(b) of this subtitle, shall be equipped with electric turn signals ...

(c) The lamps showing to the front ... shall emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber.

(d) The lamps showing to the rear ... shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber.

(h) Turn signal lamps may, but need not, be incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.
Those are the rules. Next thing is deciding what you want to do.

I put the module in and left the turn signals amber. My logic is: (1) Drivers are used to seeing red and that meaning stop. When I brake, they get red from the tail light but they also see amber from the turn signals lighting up. I think this might get a little more attention because it is unusual. Extra attention is good and they know I am stopping because of the brake light. (2) For the turn signals, I do not want it to be unusual because I want them to know exactly what I am about to do without them having to think about it - my amber turn signals mean exactly what the driver thinks they mean. I'd rather they not be red and, just maybe, the driver thinks I am only slowing down in my lane.

I don't have hard facts to back this all up, but it makes sense to me and it's legal in my state. I tucked a copy of the MD code citation in my registration folder just in case I get stopped while out of state. Hasn't happened yet.

Here's another tidbit ... in Maryland, motorcycles aren't even required to have turn signals.
Carrying a copy of your states DMV codes to prove to a LEO in another state that you are legal in your state won't hold any water as far as the LEO is concerned. It is his job to uphold the laws of his state, not the laws of your state. It's like if you come from a state that has a no helmet law. If you don't wear one in a state that has a helmet law you will get bagged.

Last edited by soos; 10-23-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: amber brake lights