Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S 113 sidewinder stroker crate motor fit a TC frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014 | 11:18 PM
20"ape
|
2nd Gear
Default S&S 113 sidewinder stroker crate motor fit a TC frame

I have read into this a lot and can't seem to get a straight answer and sorry if it's in this forum I tryed looking

So here's the deal I have a 2000 flhrci road king 88ci motor and trans stock as far as I know and I want to upgrade. I found a custom hard tail with the S&S 113 CI Sidewinder stroker*crate motor (evo style ). Baker 6 Speed transmission complete with Baker Case not a drop in
BDL 3" belt drive w/joker machine cover runs amd drives great now I really only want the motor and trans out of it and want to swap it. Can this swap be done both bikes are turn key and go I just want to swap I understand that there's gonna be some t weeking going from efi to carb but I can handle all that I just want to make sure there's a way to make it lot up with out hacking my frame apart is there a adaptor for a evo and trans to go into my frame please help asap. TIA

Old 10-16-2014 | 01:24 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

for one, the evo motor is taller than the TC...and a stroker evo would be taller yet

the evo tranny doesn;t bolt to the motor like the twincam to give a good solid 4 point mount

the touring tranny case essentially supports the swingarm...

so you need a tranny case that'll work in the touring frame.

the tranny is connected to the motor by the primary case and you'd need a carlini torque arm /race brace to support the rt side or the primary case would break.

and and and

IF you REALLY want to do this- you do best to mod your frame- raise the backbone and weld in mounts for the F&R of the motor and tranny so that the drivetrain is solid mounted like a softail or a panhead.

you'd also need a short primary like the rubbermounts- the softails use a longer primary case- which may be used on your donor bike

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-16-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2014 | 10:16 AM
20"ape
|
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply I'm thinking that this might be a bigger project than I thought it would. I got around 7k to build my bike so I figured I could do the swap and have 2 bikes I think I might be better off just building the motor I already have. I'll talk to some more local shops and see what it would cost me to do the swap and go from there thanks

Old 10-16-2014 | 12:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

depends what you want- what I would do is sell the RK and use that cash and the $7K to get a late model.

if you are ok with the old chassis and the brakes...then get a big motor to drop in, S&S makes twin cam motors that'll drop in
you can get a displacement and cams that'll move the 900 pound bike ( for this you want bore, not stroke for more torque)
other make motors or you could have yours built to 100+ horsepower...but then you will have to upgrade the clutch, tranny, etc etc. ( your stock 88 is about 56 HP)

bigger/ more power = less reliable, less mpg

it's really up to you.

or you could have a smooth touring ride and a raging bar-hopper, just by leaving those 2 bikes as-is

mike

Old 10-17-2014 | 08:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member

If that custom bike has a separate oil tank you are not going to make the engine/trans fit your bike readily. Too many problems as I see it! I don't agree with Mike, having owned and enjoyed a stroker engine, however he is quite right that you should consider a proper bolt-in twincam replacement engine if you want an upgrade. As a fan of S&S products I have one of their 107" in my Evo, they make a 111" and 124" that will bolt right into your bike. I passed on their 113" as it seemed to me it was built for light bikes, not a touring bike.

Old 10-17-2014 | 12:37 PM
20"ape
|
2nd Gear
Default thanks for the info

Thanks everyone saved me form a lot of trouble I passed in buying the custom. I'm either just going to build my motor and trans clutch or buy a direct bolt up. Now to figure out how I want to go about it for the $money $ I have so many different options this forum is really helpful I'm new to it.

Thanks again

Old 10-17-2014 | 12:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

You'll find we're happy to help you spend your money, if you need any advice........

Old 10-17-2014 | 01:00 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I don't agree with Mike, having owned and enjoyed a stroker engine...
Hey GR !,
I base that on conversations with S&S...some years ago, I found a stinkin' deal on a 113 Sidewinder.

They suggested not a good match for the 95 bagger- with the bore/stroke, HP/torque characteristics vs weight and gearing.

They suggested a 107 for the bagger.

always good to discuss pros/cons

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2014 | 01:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Hey GR !,
I base that on conversations with S&S...some years ago, I found a stinkin' deal on a 113 Sidewinder.

They suggested not a good match for the 95 bagger- with the bore/stroke, HP/torque characteristics vs weight and gearing.

They suggested a 107 for the bagger.

always good to discuss pros/cons

Mike
Mike,

I built an 89" stroker out of my Evo Glide, thanks to the serious work being done by a local indy. That motor was fine! When deciding I would like even more performance I looked into S&S engines and was advised against their 113". Unfortunately I was also advised against the 124", which is what I really wanted! The 107" I eventually bought has been succeeded by a 111", which is square, same bore and stroke. I see S&S now make a low CR version with the same 585 cams that I have in my 107, now that would be very interesting......