Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended bags-How long?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014 | 03:08 PM
RickK
|
Cruiser
Default Extended bags-How long?

I have a 2010 Street Glide and I'm looking to install stretched bags and fenders. I really like the look of the "out and down' bags that slides rearward as they go down. I'm looking for the smooth clean look with no gaps. I want it to be snug around my exhaust tips. I really like it to look as low as it can. I'm not a fan of the high bag look.

I do have a air ride system installed so I can raise or lower it as needed. With that said, I'm not sure if I will be able to install a 6 or 8 inch stretched bag and still be able to ride it. I'm okay with installing protector plates underneath.

Are the 6 and 8 inch bags just for show bikes or can you actually ride the bike in most conditions?

I'm not sure of the quality but I'm looking at the 6 inch out and down offered by Bagger Bags. See below.

I need to find out if they will drag and how bad.

Thanks
Rick

Old 10-11-2014 | 08:56 PM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain

It will depend on your riding style.

I have 4" extended bags and have scraped. I also have rear air ride, but not afraid to lean in turns. Somewhat aggressive I guess.

Plenty of guys buying the super stretched bags, but not sure how many are daily riders.

I luv the look, but don't want to worry about scraping all the time.

Old 10-11-2014 | 09:12 PM
Streetrockking
Banned

Ride mine everyday..

Old 10-11-2014 | 11:23 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I have been doing not only some pretty extensive research, but have been asking every person I see with extended bags, their PERSONAL experience. I was planning stretched stuff in the near future on my Road King. Every single person I spoke with concerning 6 inch or longer extended bags couldn't BEG me fast enough to bend down and look under their bags. Every setup, without exception was either scratched, gouged, or the scrape pads were all torn up. That convinced me that 4 inch bags would be as long as I would ever go, given how much I like lowered motorcycles. So IMHO, and my humble opinion only, if your all about leaning into corners, 4's are the max for lowered bikes, and 6 inch extended bags for 13 inch or longer shocks. Any more and cornering becomes an issue.

On a side note, don't overlook the extended bags with beveled, or cutaway edges. They look fairly cool and give back much needed clearance.

Old 10-12-2014 | 02:15 AM
06SGWA
Road Master

I've dragged 4" bags. That being said, I am buying the TopShop Viper bags the second they're available for the 2014. They have a beveled edge which should eliminate all issues.

Old 10-12-2014 | 09:05 AM
Scaffido
Tourer

I love the look of stretched bags but as a retired road racer I lean my SG into corners hard and would tear them apart. The CVO bags are about as low as I can go. These Rushmore bike turn so sweet and smooth how can you not lean them way over and nail the throttle.

Old 10-12-2014 | 09:08 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scaffido
I love the look of stretched bags but as a retired road racer I lean my SG into corners hard and would tear them apart. The CVO bags are about as low as I can go. These Rushmore bike turn so sweet and smooth how can you not lean them way over and nail the throttle.
Any pics of your road racing days?

Old 10-12-2014 | 09:18 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Mine are 5", and I've never scraped a thing. I'm not an aggressive rider either. Scraping depends on how you ride. If you want to ride lying down around corners, probably shouldn't get those bags. If you drive like an old man like me, then they're OK!

Attached Thumbnails Extended bags-How long?-jims-bike3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MSRjr03 (06-27-2022)
Old 10-12-2014 | 09:42 AM
RickK
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Streetrockking
Ride mine everyday..
Streetrockking, That's a nice looking bike. That is the exact look that I'm trying to achieve. You state that its a daily rider, do you use a rear air ride system or is it lowered? Or are you using the stock 13 inch shock? Also how often do you drag the bottoms? Do you have protector plates installed?

I have 4 inch Rinehart's installed and they are the lowest point on the bike right now and with the bike lowered half of the travel I do drag them on occasion entering and exiting parking lots or taking left or right hand turns at intersections. I havent notice dragging during curves , so I'm guessing I'm not that aggressive of a rider to the extent of laying it over too far.

I will check with Bagger Bags this week to see if they offer the down and out setup in a five inch and if they could make me one with the rear outside corners beveled.

Thanks
Rick

Old 10-12-2014 | 06:03 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain

I have the Top Shop 4" bags,and scrape quite often.

They are on an `09 E Glide Standard,which is an inch taller than a Street Glide.

Quick Reply: Extended bags-How long?