Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended bags-How long?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014 | 07:05 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I recently put 4" stretched which are narrower on the bottom than the top and scraped them the first week they were on. I'm looking to put some plates under there now. I run a 21" front wheel and stock shocks.
I like the storage but its pretty much certain there's gonna be holes in them soon. Thinking it was a mistake.

Old 10-12-2014 | 07:37 PM
Streetrockking
Banned

Originally Posted by RickK
Streetrockking, That's a nice looking bike. That is the exact look that I'm trying to achieve. You state that its a daily rider, do you use a rear air ride system or is it lowered? Or are you using the stock 13 inch shock? Also how often do you drag the bottoms? Do you have protector plates installed?

I have 4 inch Rinehart's installed and they are the lowest point on the bike right now and with the bike lowered half of the travel I do drag them on occasion entering and exiting parking lots or taking left or right hand turns at intersections. I havent notice dragging during curves , so I'm guessing I'm not that aggressive of a rider to the extent of laying it over too far.

I will check with Bagger Bags this week to see if they offer the down and out setup in a five inch and if they could make me one with the rear outside corners beveled.

Thanks
Rick
Yes its a daily rider. I do have rear air ride which I love. I did drag them for the firs time today, but I do have the plates on the bottom. These are the Bad Dad bags, and fender. There were very nice out of the box. needed very little prep before paint. I do not know anything about Bagger Bags, but just be careful trying to go cheap. It might come back to get ya on the prep work.

If you want air ride let me know we sell some nice systems.

Old 10-12-2014 | 08:27 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer

I think mine are a 4" drop and i hit them the second day i rode. I have a scrape mark on the rear corner of both bags.

Attached Thumbnails Extended bags-How long?-img_20131101_122622_644.jpg   Extended bags-How long?-img_20130926_085150_383.jpg   Extended bags-How long?-img_20131101_130648_963.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014 | 08:43 PM
RickK
|
Cruiser

I will be adding skid plates when I install them. Does anyone know where I can get titanium plates. I'm okay with cutting and forming them myself, so they do not need to be made for this application.

StreetRockKing, I already have rear air ride installed, so I'm thinking this will help reduce the amount of drags. I plan on raising it up a bit while riding high speed and entering parking lots or drive ways.

Thanks
Rick

Old 10-12-2014 | 10:38 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I have been doing not only some pretty extensive research, but have been asking every person I see with extended bags, their PERSONAL experience. I was planning stretched stuff in the near future on my Road King. Every single person I spoke with concerning 6 inch or longer extended bags couldn't BEG me fast enough to bend down and look under their bags. Every setup, without exception was either scratched, gouged, or the scrape pads were all torn up. That convinced me that 4 inch bags would be as long as I would ever go, given how much I like lowered motorcycles. So IMHO, and my humble opinion only, if your all about leaning into corners, 4's are the max for lowered bikes, and 6 inch extended bags for 13 inch or longer shocks. Any more and cornering becomes an issue.

On a side note, don't overlook the extended bags with beveled, or cutaway edges. They look fairly cool and give back much needed clearance.
I'm looking for some that are not going to cost me $2000 all in. its crazy how much a rear end change costs.

Old 10-13-2014 | 07:36 PM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain

Skid plates will help, but how tall are you and how much do you lean in turns?

Are you able to flat foot it with system aired up to clear bags in turns?

I'm a short, thick s.o.b.(5'9" - 215), so I found a happy middle ground where ride is good, do not bottom out or scrape. Can air out to look cool when parked, but don't have to worry too much about damaging the investment.

Hey, I really like the low & long look, and am considering a 26" conversion this winter, but you need to decide if the look you are going for fits the style of riding you enjoy.

Old 10-13-2014 | 10:34 PM
rheology1
Advanced

Install a DIY rear air ride for about $225.

Old 10-14-2014 | 12:03 AM
hanny
Road Captain

since you have airide you can dowhatever you want. however the bags you have in your first pic you will drag them from time to time (forget its down some hit em. I would go 4.5-5" bags and do fender to. Then just watch your height. I have done a few sets of bags and wont do anything but baddad now since there isn't even a need for mock up usually just straight to paint. The make some quality heavy duty stuff. but that's just my take on it, lol. I did the 4.5 bags and a summit fender. Can drop it down to about 3 inches off the ground with the airride so its pretty tight.
Name:  IMG_0291_zps90ca5d16.jpg
Views: 4340
Size:  56.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0290_zps6c043ced.jpg
Views: 6034
Size:  56.1 KB

Old 10-14-2014 | 07:28 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

4 1/2 and only scrape "on purpose" to see where my max lean angle is. I feel I lean hard...others think I do....however, I know I'm really not leaning as hard as my crotch rocket days---but I lean hard enough to really enjoy curves and feel like I'm not missing anything by having these bags.

Those who scrape 4 and 4 1/2....my hats off to them because they are riding pretty aggressively. There are about 8 of us with them...and we don't scrape regularly

Anything longer than what I have and I'll tear them up because I don't have air.

Old 06-06-2016 | 12:59 AM
postman4125
6th Gear
Default Update on bags

Hello. I was seeing if you bought the bags from bagger bags. I've ordered the 6X8 out and down. If so what's the verdict on the ride scraping etc.

Originally Posted by RickK
I have a 2010 Street Glide and I'm looking to install stretched bags and fenders. I really like the look of the "out and down' bags that slides rearward as they go down. I'm looking for the smooth clean look with no gaps. I want it to be snug around my exhaust tips. I really like it to look as low as it can. I'm not a fan of the high bag look.

I do have a air ride system installed so I can raise or lower it as needed. With that said, I'm not sure if I will be able to install a 6 or 8 inch stretched bag and still be able to ride it. I'm okay with installing protector plates underneath.

Are the 6 and 8 inch bags just for show bikes or can you actually ride the bike in most conditions?

I'm not sure of the quality but I'm looking at the 6 inch out and down offered by Bagger Bags. See below.

I need to find out if they will drag and how bad.

Thanks
Rick

Quick Reply: Extended bags-How long?