Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New RG or SG, opinions from those who had both.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New RG or SG, opinions from those who had both.

Hit a deer with my 13 SG and repair estimate is expensive but not totaled. Love the bike and the ember sunglow color. Looking at the option of trading for an new SGS or have to admit I'm liking the 15 Road Glide after looking one over. Anyone had both or better yet, had a Street Glide recently and just switched to the 15 RG? What made you switch?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an SG and a buddy just bought a 2015 RGS. I rode his RG last week and maybe I'm spoiled, but I just didn't care for it. I'm 6'3 and felt really cramped on it. Plus, I didn't like the "high profile" and the buffeting compared to my SG. Maybe with some mini apes, a higher windshield, and a tall boy seat it would fit me better. I DID like the 103 compared to my 96. Much more responsive.

If I were you, I'd just take an RG out for a good test ride & see what you think.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for, protection or handling. The batwing is my personal favorite, offers more protection an less buffeting from the wind. The RG will handle better on windy days but your head will take a beating because the fairing is so far away.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:09 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had 11 SG and put over 30K on it. loved the bike without complaint until i got my RG, i dont think i could ever go back to a batwing at this point. i spent a weekend on my dad's CVO SG and hated it. handling, comfort, style, fixed fairing are huge improvement to me. but the RG wasnt good for me in stock form. but no bike is really. now its prefect. im 6'3'' and i dont feel cramped like i did on the SG

Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

What you'll find here, Litewings, is whatever the responder has is the best.

I say demo ride them both, and see what YOU like best.

I've had them both, each have their strengths.... and weaknesses... one does not handle the windy days better than the other. A crosswind will push you around more on the RG.

Head buffeting is easily fixed with the right windshield, and either of the 2015 offerings will need a windshield to have comfortable air.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-09-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:51 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
What you'll find here, Litewings, is whatever the responder has is the best.

I say demo ride them both, and see what YOU like best.

I've had them both, each have their strengths.... and weaknesses... one does not handle the windy days better than the other. A crosswind will push you around more on the RG.

Head buffeting is easily fixed with the right windshield, and either of the 2015 offerings will need a windshield to have comfortable air.

i do agree the cross winds are more noticable on the RG, my KW shield took care of the buffeting. i think the cross wind is the only thing i would say is where i like my SG better. overall the RG is much better for me... but it might not be for the next guy

Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, hope you're okay. As others have said, try both if you are able.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the input so far. A bit different than I thought it would be. Was under the impression that the Road glide had cleaner airflow to the rider. Guess it depends on how the rider has is bike set-up with different windshields or other add-ons. MikeZ, ya I'm fine and itching to ride. I was real lucky.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:22 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I just converted my batwing to a RG, the biggest difference I noticed from my first ride was the bars felt so light, and that seems to make it handle better. The other thing that really stands out is running highway speeds and the suction you get from passing big trucks is gone. I tend do disagree with some of the other posts, as I feel the shark nose handles cross winds better. Those winds would turn the fairing which in turn moves the bars. The new fairing seems so much more stable.

I have absolutely no buffeting issues, but right out do the gate I started with a klock werks shield, triple tree deflector, crash bar deflectors, and I also have lowers. I did not have any buffeting issues with the batwing either, or at least none once I put on fork deflectors, tree deflector, and fairing wings. As far as wind protection, the batwing works better. But I am running a shorty on the new fairing. I get clean wind, but do get a lot more of it, even comparing it with both have shorties on.

Either bike will be nice, and consider styling, what calls out to you. I agree with the others, ride both and see what you like best.

I wanted a road glide when I bought my EGC, style more the anything. Took me 4 years, but The RG was still haunting me, so I converted rather than trading.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 10-09-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Went from a RoadGlide to a BatWing and wouldn't go back.RoadGlide cuts through the wind more efficiently probably rocks wind tunnel statistics but what ain't hittin' the bike's hitting the rider and the more crappy weather you encounter the more that matters "clean air" or not.

The RoadGlide's frame mounted fairing would have impressed me more if it didn't come with the disadvantage of moving the windshield 6 inches further away from the rider's face....no big deal,but if I'm gonna ride with a windshield,it ain't gonna perform better or be easier to see over the top of by being further out over the bikes front wheel.

I really didn't perceive the RG's steering to be significantly more effortless except riding no handed in turbulent conditions.Yes,noticed that I got whacked pretty hard a time or two with crosswinds on the RoadGlide,it has a bit more surface area on the side to catch air,but it took a hellava strong crosswind.

All that said I'd ride either one of 'em hard long miles and be happy,both are great bikes.I've lived in the Deep South and Up North,batwing works better for me in crappy northern weather.

Last edited by Slash; 10-09-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: New RG or SG, opinions from those who had both.