Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have Dyno Envy

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007 | 03:42 PM
ScooterJammer
|
Cruiser
Default I think I have Dyno Envy

I've been looking through the "Dyno Sticky" and have been marveling at the before and after numbers I see. Which leads me to my issue. I have a '04 RK Classic with K&N filter, Kirker Shark Tail slip-ons, S&S 510g geared cam kit, Dynojet PCIII, and SE EZ Adjustable pushrods. The results from my Dyno-Tuner are:
[ul][*]69.8 HP @ 5800rpm[*]77.6 TQ @ 4000rpm[/ul]
These numbers seem low compared to many of the Dyno numbers posted by others. What do you guys think? Am I suffering from 'Dyno Envy'?

Please don't get me wrong the bike really pulls at low rpm which I like

I have been considering putting on a set of SuperTrapp 2 into 1s. I presume I will need to have the current Map tweaked to account for the new exhaust. How much, if any, will this improve the overall performance?

ScooterJammer

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:21 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: I think I have Dyno Envy

Looking at specs for your bike it seems you did not get anything for all those bucks in performance parts. I would try a different dyno test to double check the results. Here is the 2004 specs they only list stock torque but your numbers are below a factory stock machine.
MANUFACTURER Harley-Davidson® MODEL YEAR 2004 MODEL FLHRS/FLHRSI Road King®
M.S.R.P. $16,995.00 POWERTRAIN ENGINE Twin Cam 88® DISPLACEMENT 88.0 in.³ BORE X STROKE 3.75 in. x 4.00 in. COMPRESSION RATIO 8.9:1 TORQUE 86.0 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:24 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah that does seem to be alittle low for what you have had done. It also could be the slip-ons that you are running, I've never heard of them before so I don't know about that. But I think with a good set of pipes and a good dyno tune you should be up high 70's for HP and high 80's in TQ. My Dad's 02 88" RK With the S&S 510G's and Thunderheader slip-onsis at 76HP & 86TQ and his is carbureted with the stock ignition. I'd think with yours being a FI with the PCIII you could do better then that. Just my 2cents.............

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:27 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Looking at specs for your bike it seems you did not get anything for all those bucks in performance parts. I would try a different dyno test to double check the results. Here is the 2004 specs they only list stock torque but your numbers are below a factory stock machine.
M.S.R.P. $16,995.00 POWERTRAIN ENGINE Twin Cam 88® DISPLACEMENT 88.0 in.³ BORE X STROKE 3.75 in. x 4.00 in. COMPRESSION RATIO 8.9:1 TORQUE 86.0 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm

Wait hold up theregunrunner those #'s are at the Crank not rear wheel #'s
My 04RK Bone stock was 59HP and 70TQ rear wheel on a Dyno jet.

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:36 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

It is what it is, it is from the harley specs sheet. If harley does it different, then their numbers are of no value to anyone.

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:53 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

It is what it is, it is from the harley specs sheet. If harley does it different, then their numbers are of no value to anyone.

They all do it that way. It's at the Crank NOT rear wheel #'s
Just like they listed the 103 SE RK in 2003 at 100ft lbs TQ, my Dad's 88" with 86ft lbs ofTQ at rear wheel will give one a run for it's money. But then again it is what it is....Right????

Old 04-11-2007 | 05:06 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

At what elavation is the dyno? Are those numbers corrected to sea level?

Old 04-11-2007 | 05:24 PM
ScooterJammer
|
Cruiser

I'm in Florida, it doesn't get much more sea level than that. The Kerker slip-ons are a mild after market perfomance pipe, not a top perfomance slip-on like Rinehart or SuperTrapp, etc. But, they certainly flow better than OEM pipes. After looking at the results I'm tempted to go to another Dyno-Tuner and see if I get some better numbers. Does anyone know of a good Tuner in Brevard County, Fla.?

ScooterJammer

Old 04-11-2007 | 05:30 PM
wydopn231
Banned

Personaly I would think your combination would have been bit better.I agree about mufflers being suspect.If me I would have run good 2 into 1 or performance true duals.Maybe a budy will let you try his if you know someone who has differant pipes,its simple swap and cheaper then by lots of parts.
I always like to check out what others are running and the results and rather see two or more simular combos with same results(bypasses bull sh---).My road king with fuel injection, thunder header,s.e. air cleaner and fuel opitimizer did lil better than yours and thats with out cam change.

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:27 AM
ScooterJammer
|
Cruiser

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses. I have read that environmental factors can affect results, I believe that week was the first cold snap we had in Fla. I'm talking down in the forties, nothing real cold by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, I think I'll end up getting SuperTrapp 2 into 1 and then have it Dyno-Tuned again.

Again, thanks for the responses.

ScooterJammer

Quick Reply: I think I have Dyno Envy