Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove baffle on V&H HO 4.5" ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to remove baffle on V&H HO 4.5" ???

Has anyone had their baffles out? I want to remove the sock but can't figure out how to get the assembly out. I removed the two bolts on the bottom near the end cap, are there more somewhere else?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:42 PM
06SGWA
Road Master

Found some info on this that I thought I would post in case someone in the future is searching for how to do this.

----------------

1) you will need a solid tool with a small hooked end, a pair of big vice grips and a hammer
2) insert hooked end into one of the small baffle holes. Make sure you have a solid connection
3) on the end of the hooked tool attach the vice grip perpendicular to it
4) use hammer and pound the vice grip to pull the baffle set/end cap out (they are attached)
5) once you get the baffle out about 1/2" this frees the friction of the end cap and the outside pipe
6) you can then slide the baffle set out (they sit pretty tight in the fabric wrapping so be carefull, you might need to twist them a little)
7) Once you get the baffles out you can use an allen wrench to remove the three screws to remove the end cap from the baffle.

They can be a bit of a pain when reinstalling so that the oustide end cap screw holes line up. Note! The end cap fits pretty tight into the outer muffler. That's what makes them hard to get out. You will need to tap them back in with a block of wood and a hammer.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:48 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Is it possible for you to take some pics of the process? Maybe a video of what it sounds like when you are done. I have the same pipes and interested.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
06SGWA
Road Master

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
Is it possible for you to take some pics of the process? Maybe a video of what it sounds like when you are done. I have the same pipes and interested.
I'm currently trying to figure out the best sort of hook tool to build. Whatever it will be, I'll do it on the cheap and post pictures of it in a follow up. I'm thinking a long "V" shaped metal rod with two end hooks to go in the baffle holes. Making it a "V" would allow for uniform pulling and easy attachment of whatever I use to do the slide banging. I might be overthinking this but from the looks of mine, these things are jammed in there real tight.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 PM
canyon-electra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I removed the baffles:

1. Removed the muffler off the bike.
2. Removed all the bolts attached to the baffles cover.
3. Took a wooden rod and slide it thru the front end and then turned upside down and banged the rod end on the concrete floor.
4. The entire cover with the baffles came off.
5. Then I smiled with a relief.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If yours has been in place for a long time and you don't get the pipe hot after washing the bike, it's probably dang near fused in place. In that case, I'd go with canyon-electra's great idea. Not sure a hook would ever get it. Liberally apply liquid wrench.

I've a chrome ProPipe and for a while was removing my baffle a lot, as I was experimenting with sound level. I have always been able to get it out by grabbing the end cap with rubber gloves. Always easier when hot. When you finally get it out, clean the inside of the megaphone with steel wool and always get the pipe hot after washing, to burn off the water.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I used coat hanger wire piece about 20 inches long...grabbed in the middle with vise grips and bent the 2 ends together so it looked like a "V" with the vise grips at the bottom of the "V" and then bent sharp hooks about a 1/4" long facing outwards on the ends of the wire..stuck the ends into the baffle and beat the vise grips (and my hand a few times)with a hammer and they eventually came out, I also sprayed them with a bunch of crc power lube first, if that doesn't work try the beating them out from the back method above....when it comes to replacing them, if you are going to use baffle material runa good amount of duct tape around the fiberglass to hold it tight to the baffle (it will burn off after a while) to make them easier to slide in..also I put some nevrseize on them so that next time it might be easier to remove them (I haven't had to remove them since then so I don't know if the never seize worked or not...