Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Issues on 07 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
KaozDesigns
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Seat Issues on 07 FLHX

I recently (last week) bought my first FLHX. I traded in an '05 Sporty 883 for the new ride and absolutely love the bike. I do have an issue with the seat and I am hoping someone can give me some guidance.

The FLHX has an aftermaret seat on it currently (Ricks Seat I believe). My wife and I went for our first ride together yesterday for about 75 miles or so.

The issue that I have is I am a big *** dude... like 6'6 360 big *** dude. On my current seat the wife really has to stretch to get her knees around me since the passenger and rider are so close together. We took my brothers new Ultra Classic for a spin on Friday and we had no issues.

The stock seat on the ultra pulled my wife up higher and back a little farther than the seat on my FLHX.

I want the wife to be as comfortable as possible and not get cramps in her legs while riding with me.

So long story short my question is this....

Is there a seat for an FLHX that is built equivalently to an Ultra Classic seat in shape? Bringing the passenger up higher than the rider, and a little further back.

OR... is it possible that an Ultra Classic seat will fit on my FLHX.

My brothers Ultra Classic is an 09 so I thought about stealing his seat for a couple of days to test with.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:53 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe you have to use a seat from an '08 or older. '09 and up seats won't fit your bike.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM
lvhdude
Intermediate

Take a look at the sundowner deep bucket from Harley. Larger rear seat than the stocker (I know you don't have that), and the rear is higher. It is much more comfy for me than the stock seat was, and a larger and thicker rear seat for the better half. Will still work with the drivers backrest if you have that option. Just as comfy as the stock seat on my old ultra.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Harley makes a "Comfort Stitch" seat which is the same seat as the Ultra seat except the nose is shorter to fit the street glide. You will need a seat for 99-07 Road King/Street Glide although the SG was only offered 06/07 the road king version of seats will fit your bike also.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:36 AM
KaozDesigns
Advanced

Any experience with the Tallboy seat? Looking at the images of the seat it appears that it also moves the passenger up higher than the rider as well and a little further back.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:00 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Seats from 97 to 07 fit. I have a 01 Ultra Seat on my 07 RK whhen the wife is with me. I also have the tour pak and fairing on then as well. The only fitment issue is at the the front of the seat matching up with the console. S/G and Ultra consoles are a little different. Some people are bothered by the gap. I'm not. Ultra Seats can be found cheap. Mine was brand new for 100 bux
Good luck
Rev

Old 10-06-2014, 01:08 PM
KaozDesigns
Advanced

Thanks Rev. I am going to see if any of the local dealers have a tallboy or comfort stitch I can demo.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:46 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I have an Ultra and removed the tourpak. The Ultra seat looked a little goofy so I found a used Road Glide seat that fit perfectly. Just as comfortable for me.
The passenger part is slightly less wide and tall than the Ultra seat and looks good.
Can't remember if the FLHX console is long or short. If it is the same length as an Ultra (short) this would be a good choice and you can find them fairly cheap.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
I believe you have to use a seat from an '08 or older. '09 and up seats won't fit your bike.
Seat mounting was changed in 08. 08 thru 15 are interchangeable (with exception of 14/15 tourpak interfering with some of them).
97-07 are interchangeable.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The FLHX has a long console so the Road Glide seat would ride up on the console. My first replacement seat was the HD Sundowner seat which was a dramatic improvement over the stock street glide seat. About a year ago, after wearing out the Sundowner, I replaced it with a Mustang Touring Seat. I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs and my wife is 4'11 3/4" and she looks over my shoulder and watches the speedo (she gets nervous above 80). This has turned out to be far more comfortable for both of us.

Quick Reply: Seat Issues on 07 FLHX