Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Mounting Position

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

SafetyMan, long story but here is how I change mine if you are interested. Put bike on table lift on kickstand. Remove the plastic retainer that holds the stator plug to the frame. make sure a rubber hose is secured with a clamp to the oil filter funnel. Put funnel in "correct" place after the filter is loosened. While filter funnel is in place it must be pushed against filter adapter and held with pressure by one hand while filter is removed by other hand. It is important to note the the stator wire plastic retainer be removed from the frame. This is what allows the funnel to be in proper position. Install new filter then strap bike to the table lift in an upright position... then drain oil. I never spill a drop. I too, was like so many others when I first got the funnel, but it will work if used as stated above... good luck!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

After the rag cleanup, a trip to the quarter car wash then an air dry.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:35 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

All I see is two oil lines too close to the exhaust,so the pipe heats the oil so the cooler can cool it. That,and all that extra rubber hose for the oil to travel through. I like to keep rubber lines to a minimum,less to go wrong on the bike.
And,a slight possibility of loosing the filter and a lot of oil if you drop the bike.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
SafetyMan, why wipe up oil....... use the Harley oil filter funnel properly and don't spill a drop. It took a few attempts for me to learn how to properly use the funnel, but it does work.
I only tried it once and it made a mess and has been hanging on my bench since.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM
ngshop
Road Master

All Aces, mail it to me, got buddies who would love to have one. Nothing else, I could use it when mine wears out..LOL

Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
All I see is two oil lines too close to the exhaust,so the pipe heats the oil so the cooler can cool it. That,and all that extra rubber hose for the oil to travel through. I like to keep rubber lines to a minimum,less to go wrong on the bike.
And,a slight possibility of loosing the filter and a lot of oil if you drop the bike.
Yeah, all that, plus if I try to jump the Grand Canyon, it could slow the bikes flight down. 8-)

Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
SafetyMan, long story but here is how I change mine if you are interested. Put bike on table lift on kickstand. Remove the plastic retainer that holds the stator plug to the frame. make sure a rubber hose is secured with a clamp to the oil filter funnel. Put funnel in "correct" place after the filter is loosened. While filter funnel is in place it must be pushed against filter adapter and held with pressure by one hand while filter is removed by other hand. It is important to note the the stator wire plastic retainer be removed from the frame. This is what allows the funnel to be in proper position. Install new filter then strap bike to the table lift in an upright position... then drain oil. I never spill a drop. I too, was like so many others when I first got the funnel, but it will work if used as stated above... good luck!
I appreciate it.

My lift is pretty close to my shelves on that side, and I'm not sure I can get down there without being a contortionist, which my fat old body is not.

Maybe I'll give it one more shot....

Old 10-02-2014, 07:58 PM
ngshop
Road Master

SafetyMan, guarantee it will not leak a drop. Analyze what you are doing while you are doing it.... it will work. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I like it.
I'm running an ultra cool refrigerator oil cooler now and the oil filter and the adaptor and the tight space and mess drive me nuts. Im liking this.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As much as I like the though of an easier access oil filter change, that looks like 6 more feet of oil line to hold old oil during the change.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Mounting Position