Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FLHTK ... slowing down, 30mph in 3rd gear... front end wobble??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Az Ace
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FLHTK ... slowing down, 30mph in 3rd gear... front end wobble??

anyone else notice this? I first noticed it when I relaxed my hands a bit slowing down one day, I could feel it in the bars, if I release my grip completely, it goes into a severe front end wobble.... just curious because the dealer says it's normal on these bikes.

I took it in for the 10K service and mentioned it to them, this is what the invoice says when I picked it up..

customer states handling concern

DESCRIPTION
"**customer advised the we cannot attempt to duplicate this condition as riding with hands off bars would be unsafe, but that we can check the front end and perform a swing/fallaway check and advise from there."

RESOLUTION

neck bearing adjustment is within spec and no adjustment needed. lubed bearings during 10k service. no abnormal issues during test ride.

Harley does not recommend removing your hands from the handlebars for safety reasons.Harley does design bikes with the rider as an integral part of the chassis and suspension.

couple questions.....
1 is this normal?

also... they were supposed to replace the instrument bulbs not working IF they opened the fairing, when they told me they checked they neck bearing adjustment, I asked if they replaced the instrument bulbs while they had it open... they said they did not have to open/remove the fairing to check the neck bearings and lube ......

2. can they lube the bearings and check the neck bearing adjustment without opening or removing the fairing?

thanks in advance!
Jeri

Old 10-02-2014, 12:01 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

If they checked it with a fall-away check, then they didn't need to remove the fairing for that - or to lubricate it, I don't believe. They would if they had to make any adjustment, though.

*Note: I don't have a fairing on my bike - just flipped through the service manual for that answer.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

when you decel- the weight shifts forward onto the front wheel.

if the front wheel wobbles, that motion is transferred to the bike with more effect than if weight is balanced ( cruising) or on the rear ( accel).

long story short- hands on the bars controls your bike better ( and I do ride all of my various bikes with no-hands at times).

note that some riders do/will over correct accidently.

the Guys at the dealer gave you the official story and it's hard to argue with that. the dealer is also responding directly to the problem as described by the owner

first handling checks are always tires, wheels, wheels bearings, neck bearings and suspension.
if braking, then add warped rotors to the list

It seems like they've done that.

if you are not satisfied with your dealer, you could always try another.

i don;t think much of Stubbs ( I live 2 miles from the shop) and have had some warranty work done at arrowhead...26 miles ride for me. ( but they share ownership with Chandler if that's who you doubt).

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-02-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:36 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Az Ace
...if I release my grip completely, it goes into a severe front end wobble.... just curious because the dealer says it's normal on these bikes...

thanks in advance!
Jeri
In my entire life, I have never ridden a motorcycle that goes into a severe front end wobble just from taking your hands off the bars. Ever.

This is NOT normal, and I don't care what the dealer told you.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I have never ridden a motorcycle that goes into a severe front end wobble just from taking your hands off the bars.
note that he says this is when slowing- not at a steady rate of speed.

Mike

Old 10-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Mister Breeze
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just sounds like a cupped tire to me ???? Guessing that was checked.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are describing classic loose steering neck bearing. They might be in spec but are more than likely at the loose side of spec. I would adjust them to the lower side of the spec and ill bet your problem goes away. Ive seen just torqueing the upper bolt cure this problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Road glides are set at a different fall away swing. Should be at 1 - 1.5 swing.

Also if tires are cupping, it could also help with the famous wobble at 30-35 mph.

YB

Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It could be either tire or steering head, or both.

My '11 did it bad from 40 down to 30, didn't have to remove hands form bars, just loosen the grip and I could feel it.

Mine was steering head.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I had a issue like that with a wide glide and it was front tire.

Quick Reply: 2011 FLHTK ... slowing down, 30mph in 3rd gear... front end wobble??