Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014 | 10:08 AM
2013superglideseattle
|
Tourer
Default Ohlins rear shock

Got my #2-#2a set of ohlins rear shock this week. First impression, they are light so they should reduce some weight and save some gas.

I suspect they are made out of aluminum and other metal blends. Even its locking nut and adjusting nut are made out of aluminum. So, if this is the case, I need to pay attention on the nuts torque and during adjustments. I need to apply a little finesse when tightening those locknuts. Also, the shock has an exposed thread, the threads must be **** and span clean before wrenching those nuts. Any FOD on its threads will cross thread those aluminum nuts or worst damage those exposed threads on the shocks.

As for its riding quality, I need to give it at least 500miles riding time before making assessment.

Old 09-29-2014 | 10:23 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle
Got my #2-#2a set of ohlins rear shock this week. First impression, they are light so they should reduce some weight and save some gas.

I suspect they are made out of aluminum and other metal blends. Even its locking nut and adjusting nut are made out of aluminum. So, if this is the case, I need to pay attention on the nuts torque and during adjustments. I need to apply a little finesse when tightening those locknuts. Also, the shock has an exposed thread, the threads must be **** and span clean before wrenching those nuts. Any FOD on its threads will cross thread those aluminum nuts or worst damage those exposed threads on the shocks.

As for its riding quality, I need to give it at least 500miles riding time before making assessment.
didn't take me no 500 miles before an assessment, the first mile after replacing the HD air shocks with the Ohlins #2-#2b's was all I needed, and it was good !

Old 09-29-2014 | 10:51 AM
tfi racing
Road Master

No need to worry too much about the threaded aluminum body,racers have been beating the hell out of them on dirt and asphalt circle tracks for years,they will take a fair amount of filth and abuse.

Old 09-29-2014 | 12:40 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle

Are you serious?
You are really happy because they way a couple lbs less than the stock shocks. Getting another mile per tank is gonna make your day?
I can honestly say I did not consider weight in way as a criteria when I picked out my aftermarket shocks...
Did anyone else out there expect their Ohlins to increase their mpg?

Old 09-29-2014 | 01:23 PM
tsigwing
Tourer

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Are you serious?
You are really happy because they way a couple lbs less than the stock shocks. Getting another mile per tank is gonna make your day?
I can honestly say I did not consider weight in way as a criteria when I picked out my aftermarket shocks...

I laughed at that too.

Old 09-29-2014 | 01:24 PM
42gunner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Are you serious?
Dont know if it was the Ohlins or the change to synthetic oil. I am now getting 19 more mpg after changing both of them!

Old 09-29-2014 | 01:25 PM
42gunner
Cruiser

Sorry, I meant 18 mpg more.

Old 09-29-2014 | 01:28 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Must of left the wife @ home during his test ride.

Old 09-29-2014 | 01:36 PM
42gunner
Cruiser

Always leave her home. Weighs more than bike.

Old 09-29-2014 | 01:38 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Even I wouldnt post that.

Quick Reply: Ohlins rear shock