Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014 | 02:37 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Did anyone else out there expect their Ohlins to increase their mpg?

no, just my 20-50w AMSOIL did that.

Old 09-29-2014 | 02:56 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle
First impression, they are light so they should reduce some weight and save some gas.
Was planning on getting a set from Howard for a winter project. Now it's even more of a reason not too.

Old 09-29-2014 | 03:23 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by RKZen
Was planning on getting a set from Howard for a winter project. Now it's even more of a reason not too.
I have a set of 3-3's coming to me Tuesday.
so thats 40 MPG more + Howards front forks = another 40 MPG more = thats 80 MPG more + Syn 3 = 20 MPG more = lets see.....um...100 MPG more!!!!!!

Holy crap! I had to wait 5 years to find out from you guys these secrets!
UNACCEPTABLE.

Old 09-29-2014 | 03:29 PM
Bohacker
Road Master

Surprisingly entertaining thread, lol.

I just, like 20 min ago, received my #6s. I guessing that's good for 60 MPG. Plan to do the front forks this winter for another 40 MPG. I'll have to switch back to Syn3 for a total of 120 MPG on top of my current 41 MPG == 161 MPG! In your face hybrids!

Old 11-01-2014 | 11:42 PM
beammeup
Road Master

Originally Posted by tfi racing
No need to worry too much about the threaded aluminum body,racers have been beating the hell out of them on dirt and asphalt circle tracks for years,they will take a fair amount of filth and abuse.
Wrong for these shocks. I spoke with OhlinsUSA and the high level tech told me just the opposite with their Harley Ohlins. NEVER adjust the preload without making sure the threads are spotless. Recommended using an air compressor to clean the threads first so they don't get stripped.

I mean that's common sense.

Old 11-02-2014 | 05:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by beammeup
Wrong for these shocks. I spoke with OhlinsUSA and the high level tech told me just the opposite with their Harley Ohlins. NEVER adjust the preload without making sure the threads are spotless. Recommended using an air compressor to clean the threads first so they don't get stripped.

I mean that's common sense.
I've had my #3-3 Ohlins from Howard since long before Ohlins USA started selling 'Harley' shocks, for almost five years now. I've ridden through snow and ice and road salt and never had any problems with them of any sort. Air compressor FFS? Nonsense - I don't have one and we don't need one.

Old 11-02-2014 | 07:21 AM
beammeup
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've had my #3-3 Ohlins from Howard since long before Ohlins USA started selling 'Harley' shocks, for almost five years now. I've ridden through snow and ice and road salt and never had any problems with them of any sort. Air compressor FFS? Nonsense - I don't have one and we don't need one.
Ya,I know what you mean!!! I've been riding my 3- 3s in snow, sleet and floods across Antarctica and the equator too and no problems either.!!

what the heck do the Dudes from OhlinsUSA know anyway. Certainly not more than you.
Call Howard!!

Old 11-02-2014 | 08:30 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Clarification

Originally Posted by beammeup
Ya,I know what you mean!!! I've been riding my 3- 3s in snow, sleet and floods across Antarctica and the equator too and no problems either.!!

what the heck do the Dudes from OhlinsUSA know anyway. Certainly not more than you.
Call Howard!!
If you wish to adjust the spring pre-load collar than it is imperative that the threads need to be cleaned. The shafts also need to be cleaned on a regular basis because dirt gets dragged up into the shock past the quad seal & O-rings and into the shock oil. The cleaner you keep the shafts the cleaner the shock oil. Shock oil needs to be changed at 30~35K miles under the absolute best conditions. All oil gets contaminated and breaks down when heated which your rear shocks do.

Of course if you are not changing the spring pre-load as in the case of Mr. Brown, the threads do not need to be cleaned until he does wish to move the spring pre-load collars. This is what happens when you do move the collars before cleaning the threaded body, only common sense. I am sure Mr. Brown did not mean not to clean his shocks before moving the spring pre-load color. I believe he meant that the shocks work just fine getting dirty, two different things, but I am sure Mr. Brown can clarify his statement. THe problems with chat sites there are many ways to interpenetrate thoughts, meaning of the thought, and sentences. I had to use a milling machine to remove this collar not to damage the threads.