Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner fairing trim kit 61400199

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 PM
lazybee
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Inner fairing trim kit 61400199

Purchase one of these today. Figured a 15 min job. Boy was I wrong. Installed radio trim, speaker trim, faceplate, speedo trim, and volt meter trim. Then the problem. Removed the adhesive backing for the tach gauge trim ring, pushed it in and the adhesive wouldn't even touch the face plate. I had the correct one cause there's an alignment tab to show which goes where. Without taking the backing off the adhesive, I tried the speedo trim. Same thing. Now I have 5 of seven pieces stuck, so back to dealer I go with bike. Parts guy say I must have read the instructions wrong cause he looked at it and said the small factory trim ring was going to have to come off for the speedo and tach gauge trim ring to go in. He read the instuctions. It does not say that. He goes gets a guy out of the shop. He tells me I have two options. Take a dremel tool and cut the some of the depth out of the kit trim ring or take off the outer fairing, take out the speedo and tach cluster, remove the factory trim rings from the speedo and tach. Said the cluster just "pops right out". Took the 3 screws out of the instument cluster and it didn't pop right out. It did come out with alittle work, but it was a major pain to get back in. After I took out the factory trim rings, the new kit trim ring fit right up. 15 min job turned into 2 hours plus. Now could have just got a bad kit. The dealer didn't have another for us to check. So, if you buy this kit, you may want to hold the faceplate against the instruments and try the speedo and tach trim rings before attaching the faceplate.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You did not get a bad kit, you stuck the base plate on in the wrong spot. There is not much room to begin with, and even less room for error.

You do not have to remove anything to make it fit.

Did you pre-fit anything before you started removing adhesive backing?

I did. And found that if the base wasn't EXACTLY perfect, the other rings would not fit.

I put the rings on the base first, and let the rings guide the base home. Worked perfect.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 09-27-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 PM
lazybee
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought installing the trim rings in the plate first would make more sense, but the instructions said otherwise. That's what I get for reading instructions.