Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining the fray

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014 | 09:35 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I bought my 1st touring bike this July and I'm loving it. I have been riding for 20 years prior to that and never even owned a motorcycle with a windshield. One of the best decisions I ever made, only thing that pisses me off is that I waited so long.

Old 09-26-2014 | 09:47 AM
oc1014
Road Captain

That's a great color combo. Your gonna love it.

Old 09-26-2014 | 10:20 AM
theCoach
Tourer

Congrats, great decision, now you can take the long road!

Old 09-26-2014 | 11:49 AM
RevBlk
Road Master

Congrats. You're going to love the air ride seat. I've put many miles on them and they are awesome. I also like the hockey pucks on the bags for ease of access. I realize I'm in the minority though.
Rev

Old 09-26-2014 | 11:57 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice looking chopper

Old 09-26-2014 | 12:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

I know of a 2013 Road King Police for sale, with 8 miles on it.

I'd want to have it painted, but it's very tempting. Other than heavier duty electric and charging systems to handle all the radio, lights, etc., what are the major differences between it and a standard RK?

Old 09-26-2014 | 12:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
there is a website for retired cop bikes...

if you get a gently used one they can be a value and a blank canvas.
Interesting! Got a link?

Old 09-26-2014 | 12:16 PM
Rampant
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I know of a 2013 Road King Police for sale, with 8 miles on it.

I'd want to have it painted, but it's very tempting. Other than heavier duty electric and charging systems to handle all the radio, lights, etc., what are the major differences between it and a standard RK?
First, 103 engine is standard. which is pretty nice. ABS is standard. No cruise, no security, but they can be added for a few hundred each. Cruise, IMO is overrated, but I'll probably add security.

The bags are different, and open on hinges to the side so the tops are attached to the bags instead of coming off. I think it's closer to the 2014 design but not as pretty.

No rear seat by default due to air ride.

Tackometer is standard.

I'm not certain put possibly slightly different gearing. At least it is on cop cars for more low end but not sure about the RK harleys.

lower resale, but also lower sale to you (usually WAY lower).

I've yet to hear a bad story about them (I looked). If they were in service people say "oh it got abused" but you also know it was perfectly maintained. What abuse are they going to give it? accelerating hard. Yeah... like no private individuals do that....

Oh, last difference - color options. There are a bunch of cop bike specific colors.

Old 09-26-2014 | 12:27 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior

Let the fun begin!!!!!

Old 09-26-2014 | 12:30 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
First, 103 engine is standard. which is pretty nice. ABS is standard. No cruise, no security, but they can be added for a few hundred each. Cruise, IMO is overrated, but I'll probably add security.

The bags are different, and open on hinges to the side so the tops are attached to the bags instead of coming off. I think it's closer to the 2014 design but not as pretty.

No rear seat by default due to air ride.

Tackometer is standard.

I'm not certain put possibly slightly different gearing. At least it is on cop cars for more low end but not sure about the RK harleys.

lower resale, but also lower sale to you (usually WAY lower).

I've yet to hear a bad story about them (I looked). If they were in service people say "oh it got abused" but you also know it was perfectly maintained. What abuse are they going to give it? accelerating hard. Yeah... like no private individuals do that....

Oh, last difference - color options. There are a bunch of cop bike specific colors.
Thanks!

They're asking $17k for it, which is certainly no give-away price.

Quick Reply: Joining the fray