Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:55 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default newbie exhaust question

purchased my 14 street glide a month or two ago, installed used jackpot slip ons from a member here the first week. Liked the sound, but wanted a bit more, so installed one competition baffle in the right pipe, sounds much better but still would like a bit louder. Ended up ordering another comp baffle and should be here this week, probably won't make it too much louder though. My question, eventually want to do a full system, but since i already have the jackpot's installed, was thinking about just replacing the head pipe-would basically be the same as a full system exhaust, correct? If so, would buying an oem head pipe with cat removed or a replacement head pipe from fuel moto ($4-500) be a good idea. Really want the classic harley sound, but not obnoxious, anybody swapped out the header with jackpot slip ons care to comment?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I just swapped out my stock head pipe for one with the cat removed this past weekend. I have the Klock Werks Super Saver slip ons, I was very happy with the increase in (good) sound over the head pipe w/cat. Not obnoxious but has a nice bark when I get on it and still fairly mellow while cruising.

I figured I try a catless headpipe for $100 before I spent $300-$400 on an aftermarket head pipe. I'm glad I did.

Now, if I ever dig deeper into the motor I would probably install some type of aftermarket head pipes as they are made to get the most out of your motor with better flow, full size crossover pipe, etc..

Old 09-22-2014, 04:19 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RistoRap
I just swapped out my stock head pipe for one with the cat removed this past weekend. I have the Klock Werks Super Saver slip ons, I was very happy with the increase in (good) sound over the head pipe w/cat. Not obnoxious but has a nice bark when I get on it and still fairly mellow while cruising.

I figured I try a catless headpipe for $100 before I spent $300-$400 on an aftermarket head pipe. I'm glad I did.

Now, if I ever dig deeper into the motor I would probably install some type of aftermarket head pipes as they are made to get the most out of your motor with better flow, full size crossover pipe, etc..
thanks for the quick response, how hard was the removal/installation of the head pipe, doesn't look too difficult? Did u end up buying another pipe with cat removed or send yours in?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pipe with the cat removed won't be enough for what you want. Get duals. I had the 09 pipe that was atock without the cat. Same pipe that you have. It wasn't enough. The duals don't make it obnoxious. Straight pipes do

Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain

But if I bought a new head pipe through fuelmoto and crossover pipe, wouldn't that basically be the same as buying a true dual system for $1-2k?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:41 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemi1300
But if I bought a new head pipe through fuelmoto and crossover pipe, wouldn't that basically be the same as buying a true dual system for $1-2k?
Oh yeah, that is what I meant. Just add a header to your slipons. I forgot that some are full systems. I personally like the header/slip on because you can always change the sound with just a different slipon. Have a good one

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi1300
True duals have no crossover.

I think you are a bit confused...

A "complete system" is comprised of head pipes and mufflers. You have mufflers, so all you now need is head pipes.

But I would HIGHLY recommend a flash tuner at the same time.

Pricing... My RUSH true dual system (headpipes and mufflers) cost around a grand. Since you have mufflers, look for the head pipe you want. If you have Jackpots, the FuelMoto head pipes are a great match. RUSH head pipes run around $500.

My 2 cents... I tend to avoid de-catted stock pipes, many claim it allows the O2 sensors to cross talk, and not allow the bike to run as good as it could. I'm a fan of TRUE duals, because I love the old type sound.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain

thanks for the help, will plan on picking up the header through fuel moto when i get the appropriate funds. Already have the power vision and screaming eagle elite breather installed. Hopefully the competition baffles will hold me off for a bit until i buy the head pipes

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Ceramic coated fuelmoto head pipe with 4" slash ups & comp baffles here. I have a K & N aircharger air cleaner and cams with a PCV w/map from Fuelmoto, so a bit louder ,but not obnoxious.

Since you already have jackpot slip ons a fuelmoto head pipe will match nicely for the sound you are looking for.

You should probably plan for a tuner and high flow air cleaner as well. The guys at Fuelmoto are top notch, and provide package deals.

Happy shopping!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM
pcwizard
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the decatted head pipe and the FuelMoto Micro EFI. It eliminates the O2 sensors, no problems, runs great. FuelMoto is fantastic to deal with!

Quick Reply: newbie exhaust question