Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander-Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
mcman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander-Yes or No

Who can or will tell me H-D's position on adding a Power Commander to a late model, '04-06, FLHT?I have a friend who rides an '04 Classic and his dealer is telling him that if he doesn't add a PC to his motorcycle that it will practically self-destruct because it's running too lean. This is after 30K care free miles. Did it automatically get in this condition after almost 3 years of riding? Why didn't he need it when he originally bought the bike?

I ride an '06 Ultra with supposedly Stage I (SE pipes, SE air cleaner and the Harley download). At least that is how I road it off the showroom floor. It runs fine. No problem whatsoever. My dealer has never mentioneda Power Commander to me or anything else for that matter. Of course I only have about 8K on the bike. Is my motorcycle going go blow up at some time in the future if I don't add a Power Commander?

And oh, by the way, what the h--- is a Power Commander supposed to do in the first place? Why do I or anyone else need one in the first place if their motorcycle is running fine? Is my friend's dealer just trying to sell Power Commanders? Is it a prerequisite that you put one on a new '07 model.

Any help or opinion will be appreciated.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander-Yes or No

I'm sure H-D would prefer you to add something with a bar & shield on it, rather than an aftermarket piece.

Power commander info can be found at: http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...x/default.aspx

If you ONLY want to correct a lean condition and not change the timing and other ignition settings, many of us are quite happy with the DFO (a.k.a. TFI) unit. It was invented by the same guy that invented the power commander to be a less expensive and less complicated alternative. Unlike the Power Commander you don't need a computer to set it up--just a small screwdriver. The Dobeck website below features a cool video showing how easy it is to install and set up.

Info on the DFO/TFI can be found at: http://www.dobeckperformance.com/

Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no reason to add a PCIII to any stock bike, yes it will run a little leaner and hotter than if it had one but it will not hurt it. Harley would not be able to sell bikes that could not be run as they come for the entire lifetime. I would say your friend must have added things like you did and yes it could damage the motor if not retuned either with the stage 1download, PCIII or other device. But if his is bone stock, then he is just plain being lied to.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
mcman
Cruiser

Appreciate the responses. I know there are others out there with their own ideas.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pure bullsh!t!Like Weasel said,I could see them trying to sell Him a SERT but not a PC.His bike will be just fine with the stage one.Now if You go much further with engine mods,it's a different story.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcman

Who can or will tell me H-D's position on adding a Power Commander to a late model, '04-06, FLHT?I have a friend who rides an '04 Classic and his dealer is telling him that if he doesn't add a PC to his motorcycle that it will practically self-destruct because it's running too lean. This is after 30K care free miles. Did it automatically get in this condition after almost 3 years of riding? Why didn't he need it when he originally bought the bike?
First, HD's position is to not encourage the installation any non-Harley device of any kind on your bike, mostly because they don't make it and thus won't make any profits on the sale. OTOH, many dealers install PCIII's and other aftermarket EFI mods, and I'm sure would like very much to sell you something along the lines of a $300 PCIII or a $400+ SERT. The stock bikes run lean from the factory, especially '07's, and installing aftermarket AC's and mufflers with no EFI mods will cause them to run even leaner, often dangerously so. After installing these items, a Stage 1 download from the dealer will take care of the dangerous condition, but isn't necessarily the best alternative for gas mileage and/or performance. People install PCIII's, SERT, etc. to give them more flexibility in the tuning arena.

I ride an '06 Ultra with supposedly Stage I (SE pipes, SE air cleaner and the Harley download). At least that is how I road it off the showroom floor. It runs fine. No problem whatsoever. My dealer has never mentioneda Power Commander to me or anything else for that matter. Of course I only have about 8K on the bike. Is my motorcycle going go blow up at some time in the future if I don't add a Power Commander?
You should be okay with your present setup, but the PCIII or SERT, among others, will afford more options for tuning, which you may not be interested in. If you are happy with the performance and mileage, leave it alone, as it shouldn't be running too lean as is. If you are worried about it, have the bike dynoed (Dynojet) to find out what your A/F ratio is at various engine speeds and loads. If you are above about 14.5:1 at cruise or 13.2 at full-throttle acceleration, you could probably get some performance, cooling, and/or mileage improvements out of a modification like the PCIII. But at $300 is it worth it? I think so for my needs, but YMMV.

And oh, by the way, what the h--- is a Power Commander supposed to do in the first place? Why do I or anyone else need one in the first place if their motorcycle is running fine? Is my friend's dealer just trying to sell Power Commanders? Is it a prerequisite that you put one on a new '07 model.
The newer bikes, especially '07's, are leaner and run hotter stock than their predecessors to meet ever more stringent emissions standards. I think a PCIII can do an '07 a lot of good for performance, cooling, and engine durability, but if not tweaked just right mileage may suffer. The '06's may be less so. If this whole concept intimidates you, call Jamie at www.fuelmotousa.com and have him go over the reasons for making these changes. He is a straight shooter even though he sells PCIII's, mufflers, and AC kits. If you are so inclined he will sell you a kit (muffler, PCIII, and AC) with a pre-loaded map for your combination. If you want it tweaked for gas mileage, tell him. No, I don't work for Fuel Moto, but I like most customers are pleased with the service they provide.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
mcman
Cruiser

I really apprecaite everyones input. I value this form for its wealth of information and knowledge of its members. Thanks guys.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM
brokenfingers
Advanced

Just have to chime in... If you are planning on keeping things simple by sticking just with a high flow air filter, and pipes. I'd go with the Vance and Hines fuel pak. I've got the setup with the dresser duals on my '07 Ultra and not only do I see a very respectable increase in acceleration, my fuel economy now is running around 47 to 49 mpg. Its not for anything fancy, I probably wouldn't opt for it if I was going to put in a cam and other mechanical mods... but just helping the lean nature of things and letting the bike breath easier... I couldn't be happier with mine.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the bike more than likely does not really"need" one, a properly tuned PCIII will make the bike run better.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After running some V&H pipes on my 2003 Night Train for about 8,000 miles, I finally added a PCIII because I was sick of the massive pops on deceleration.

I can't believe the difference the PCIII made!

I couldn't get a pop out of my pipes if I tried. I gained a lot of relaxing "piece of mind" just by knowing my bike is running prefect. I'm also ready to go when the time comes to up-grade the motor.

Just my .02

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Power Commander-Yes or No