Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander-Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander-Yes or No

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

There is no reason to add a PCIII to any stock bike, yes it will run a little leaner and hotter than if it had one but it will not hurt it. Harley would not be able to sell bikes that could not be run as they come for the entire lifetime. I would say your friend must have added things like you did and yes it could damage the motor if not retuned either with the stage 1download, PCIII or other device. But if his is bone stock, then he is just plain being lied to.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. First off, if you add a PCIII (or SERT, DFO, whatever), the bike will be running less lean, not more! The bikes come out of the factory set so lean it's a wonder any fuel is getting to the motor! The longer they run lean, the hotter themotor will continue to run, and the more likely youcould have problems. This will vary alot though based on various conditions; location (altitude, humidity), temperature, and so forth. Even adding a DFO or something to a completely stock bike will improve the longevity of the bike.

A Power Commander (DFO, SERT, etc.) is a fuel management system. Each runs a little differently, but achieve the same overall results, sendingmore fuel to the motor! The PCIII overrides the stock ECM chip, and tells the Fuel Injection to push more gas into the air/fuel mixture, allowing the motor to run more efficiently.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my question is this i have had my 06 road king for 4 years i had stage one s/e air and s/e slip ons harley re map then i added s&s cam gear ok? now mechanic said that my twin cam 88 is programmed from harley as a 95 cu inch motor when i added a thunder max it didnt work out i put the original map back in and it ran fine returned thunder max drove it another season but ive had a slight ping for some time on cold days no ping at all depends on temp ok now i just ordered a fuelmoto efi from jamie i just read its a piggy back type deal as power commanders are ! am i misunderstanding or does this mean the map that harley put on my bike saying its a 95 cu motor run with this new tuner or does the disconect the factory setting harley put in last and new map in fuel moto efi take over?? im concerned cuz if harley put the wrong map in the last time i was in a few years back will this new tuner be running on that map too? how does the powercommander 3 work? in line with or basicly disconecting harleys map modual?? im a bit confused they claim this tie wraps to the exsisting modual! any one know ? only real prob im having is the ping and a slightly frosty lookin plug but thats not good i know

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default added a plug pic

i know its runnin a bit lean but what pisses me off the most is how harley had thier tech put a map for a 95 cu motor when its a 2006 twin cam 88cu what the heck is that all about im running stage one slip ons and s&s 510 cam gear no power commander or nothin ive only experianced a slight ping not even all the time but i know it needs a commander cuz its obvious its not running rich

Attached Thumbnails  Power Commander-Yes or No-img_1176.jpg