Good deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good deal or not?

I was recommended to an independent certified Harley Master mechanic who owns his own shop. Informed him about my dilemma in regards to just do cams work and try to see if I will be satisfied w the performance of my Street Glide 103 He asked me a few questions, riding style, background, what I was looking to get, whether I ride 2 up or ride solo etc.

After all was said and done, he said that just cams alone would not get me what I want. It will be an improvement but then down the road I will want more. He recommended headwork, 107 big bore kit, SE 211 cams. He stated that if I was gonna do something do it right and be done, that way I don’t have to come back and spend unnecessary money, all SE equipment/parts/Dyno, etc etc for just $2000 out the door~ Also, he said that my extended warranty would be not be voided because all parts are SE and he is recognized by Harley so will not have any issues down the road if anything would of happen. That would put me at around 120hp and 135 torque… Give or take a few.. So should I pull the plug???

Headwork, 107 Big Bore Kit, SE211 Cams, Tune, Dyno, parts, labor $2k~ DONE!

I think so~

Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If something sounds too good to be true...

First and upmost, in my book, is honesty - and don't try to sell me snake oil or try to upsell me.

It doesn't matter if he's a trained H-D mechanic; if he's not employed by H-D, then H-D won't warranty his work. Period. End of story.

Personally, I would not walk away - I'd RUN!

It is quite normal to do a Stage 1 upgrade, then do cams only, and be very happy with the results. Heck, I've only done a Stage 1 upgrade on my SG and I'm very happy with the improvement in performance and have no desire for further upgrades. That said, everyone has his own wants and desires - and a wish list to go along with it.

If you want to go further with upgrades, then by all means, do it. BUT, if you're not a mechanic, and you're entrusting your wheels to an unknown entity, then you had better make darn sure that you're choosing someone who knows what they're doing and who has your best interests at heart.

Trust your gut, not the salesmanship.

Good luck. Please let us know how it all turns out.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

On the surface what he recommended will work, however as posted for a factory to continue honoring the factory warranty then not only do factory provided performance parts need to be used but the work must be completed by a factory trained and authorized technician in a factory establishment. Those are basics rules of all warranties.
Now, if what you are looking for is rapid acceleration across the widest power band while maintaining the factory extended warranty then install the entire SE performance upgrade kit by choosing the displacement you desire such as a 110 kit with cams and heads.
Bob