The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

Illinois making protesters at military funerals stay farther away.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011 | 06:57 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Illinois making protesters at military funerals stay farther away.

Not a huge improvement, but a step in the right direction.

From the AP

"SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn has signed off on a change to the state's "Let Them Rest In Peace Act," which now will bar protests within 300 feet of a military funeral. The old law's distance was 200 feet.
Quinn signed the bill Sunday in Springfield. Groups known for their protests will have to stay farther away from military funerals under the measure.
A member of Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church labeled the new law as unconstitutional and insisted the church would continue its heckling protests undaunted.
Quinn says "every family has a fundamental right to conduct a funeral with reverence and dignity." He says the new law "ensures that the families of those who have given their lives for our country can grieve without harassment."

Old 08-15-2011 | 08:56 AM
71FLH
Road Warrior

Works for me. I don't care what rights those idiots think they have. The family's rights come first and foremost as far as I'm concerned. I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see them told that they can't even protest in the same county.

Old 08-15-2011 | 08:29 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

Good to see IL can do this to help sheild the familys of our fallen HEROS.