The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

PGR-What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PGR-What is going on?

Got a message from State concerning a lawsuit involving former member and trademark issues. Can someone tell me what this is all about and what I can do to keep the PGR from going "out of business"?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. I heard some members chatting about this on our PGR mission today. Sounds like the originator wants the named to be changed to Twister's PGR or something along those lines. No one really knew any details though and I to would like to know what's up if anyone on the forums knows.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In a nut shell

PGR Filed an application to trademark the Name and Logo for the organization. This application was opposed by one of the former Presidents of the organization.

This is now being heard by the United States Trademark and Patent office. All public paperwork can be found at the following website.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?qs=77041061

Respects,
Ed

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
bigmack46
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all comes down to dollars. As I understand it - Twister is not just a past president, he is the founder of the organization. At some point, he and the now nationally chartered organization parted ways. The lawsuit is over the rights to the name and logo. Twister started the original store, which is still in operation. That gear bears the motto "riding with respect". The national organization started their own store, their gear bears the motto "standing for those that stood for us." National wants sole control over the name and logo, and Twister wants to be able to continue selling the logo based upon the designs he created.

For my purposes, I really don't give a damn either way. I don't do pins or patches - I'll leave that to the Boy Scouts. When I go on a PGR mission, it's to pay respects to the fallen hero. I'll stand a flag line, render a final salute, whisper Semper Fi as I leave, and that's good enough for me. HE knows I was there, I know I was there - a pin isn't going to do much for either of us.

Let them fight it out. I say we grant them joint custody, let them each have their own stores and let the chips fall where they may.

Don't lose sight of the target!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Actual founders of the Patriot Guard can be found here.

http://www.kspatriotguard.org/

Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 PM
booker55
Advanced
Veteran: Army
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BIGMACK
Well said.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think like you Bigmack46,

All the pins, armbands and little dog tags are for those that seem to seek some sort of credit for showing respect. I don't go to these missions for me, I go for the soldier. JMO

If they want to fight over trademarks, let them, I don't have a dog in that fight.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmack46
For my purposes, I really don't give a damn either way. I don't do pins or patches - I'll leave that to the Boy Scouts. When I go on a PGR mission, it's to pay respects to the fallen hero. I'll stand a flag line, render a final salute, whisper Semper Fi as I leave, and that's good enough for me. HE knows I was there, I know I was there - a pin isn't going to do much for either of us.

Don't lose sight of the target!
There ya go, couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
TheBigBear
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with BigMack,if you do it for all the pins and patches,your'e doing it for the wrong reason..Ride safe

Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wescoot2
In a nut shell

PGR Filed an application to trademark the Name and Logo for the organization. This application was opposed by one of the former Presidents of the organization.

This is now being heard by the United States Trademark and Patent office. All public paperwork can be found at the following website.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?qs=77041061

Respects,
Ed
Originally Posted by bigmack46
It all comes down to dollars. As I understand it - Twister is not just a past president, he is the founder of the organization. At some point, he and the now nationally chartered organization parted ways. The lawsuit is over the rights to the name and logo. Twister started the original store, which is still in operation. That gear bears the motto "riding with respect". The national organization started their own store, their gear bears the motto "standing for those that stood for us." National wants sole control over the name and logo, and Twister wants to be able to continue selling the logo based upon the designs he created.
Thanks for the info.