The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Tennessee Subcommitte to Hear New Helmet Law Bill Tuesday, 2/21/12

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Tennessee Subcommitte to Hear New Helmet Law Bill Tuesday, 2/21/12

Contact your state representatives and express your support of bill number HB 2661 if you value your freedom and liberties. Naturally, there are a few opposition groups against this new proposed bill.

HB2661 would allow anyone over 21 the “choice” to wear a helmet or not.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A proposed change to Tennessee's helmet law is already stirring up emotions, even before it hits the state legislature. Motorcyclists feel it's a personal freedom, while those opposed say it's a public safety issue.

House Bill 2661 is set to be heard by the House Transportation General Subcommittee on Tuesday.

It would allow people 21 and older to ride motorcycles without wearing a helmet.

…At Bost Harley Davidson in West Nashville, it's been a frequent topic of conversation over the past few weeks.

"Most everyone feels a whole lot like I do," said owner Mike Bost, who has been riding motorcycles for nearly 40 years. "They want to have a choice."

Bost says he would choose to wear a helmet every time, no matter what the law is, but he feels riders deserve the right to choose.

"It's choice, the issue here is choice," he said. "That's what they want. They don't want it to be a law they have to wear a helmet. They don't feel it's right."

TN Lawmakers Take Up Helmet Law Changes

HB2661

Please contact your representatives as well as the ones listed below.

Here is the Contact Page for the officers and members of the General Sub-committee of Transportation.

General Sub-committee of Transportation

Officers

Vince Dean, Chair
Terry Lynn Weaver, Vice-Chair

Members

Barbara Cooper
Dale Ford
Bill Harmon
Matthew Hill
Phillip Johnson
Michael McDonald
Tony Shipley
Mike Stewart

Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I have been following this in the news..I think everyone should be able to have a choice..When I ride in Kentucky or Florida it is nice to have the option..I will say that a helmet has saved my life 3 times..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

* UPDATE *

HB2661 has been deferred for one week until 2/28/2012:

Meanwhile, a bill which would allow motorcyclists age 21 or older to ride without a helmet was delayed for a week in the House Transportation Committee’s general subcommittee Tuesday afternoon. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma, had generated dissent from state transportation and health care organizations.

LINK
Another article on the bill:

“Government is not our mom and dad, and we’re big people,” said Rep. Glen Casada, R-Williamson County, a co-sponsor of the legislation. “If someone wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, they should have that choice.”

LINK
I couldn’t have said it better myself, Rep. Casada.