The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Lawmakers Ponder Motorcycle Helmet Law...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
clang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in IL helmets are optional, but I usually still wear one. I've been hit by cars twice in the past 30 years and both times would have been dead or a veggie if I was not wearing a helmet.

But that is not enough of a reason for making helmets mandatory. About the only argument that makes me seriously consider mandatory helmet laws a good thing is the fact that I have a 13 year old son who will probably be riding a motorcyle when he gets his drivers licence in a few years. I sure hope he wears a helmet all the time too. I know I taught him well, but there's a bit of a rebel in all of us...

Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:22 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
What is there to ponder? get off the furkin' fence, damn bureaucratic bullchit.

not that I would ride without one...
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...aw-20111101-mr

The bill would allow riders 21 or older to go without helmets if they meet certain insurance and experience conditions. ???

It's called having the right and freedom to choose..it's what our soldiers fight and die for!

If this is the land of the free then we should have that right to choose...right or wrong!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the freedom of choice crowd as well. Everyone else has already covered the reasons why.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Let's outlaw other things that can kill you too. Like tobacco, alcohol and fried chicken. Oh wait, I like all three of those things. Doh.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
I don't want to pay out of my pocket to support someone that's injured enough to have to be on life support because they chose not to wear a very basic safety device.

Nor would I want to pay out of my pocket because YOU choose to ride a motorcycle.

For what it's worth, it's only 29% more likely that you'll die riding without a helmet than with, but it's 1600% more likely that you'll die riding a motorcycle than driving a car.
On a mile-for-mile basis, it's actually more along the lines of 3,500% more likely that you'll die riding a motorcycle than driving a car. Which only serves to further support your point.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, professional research has already proven that people in Michigan have smaller brains and much lower IQ's and therefore need the added protection of helmets...so I think helmets should be mandatory for everyone there including pedestrians and people in cars. You have a 78.45% higher chance of doing something stupid if you are from Michigan.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why does insurance and MSF classes come into this? I don't remember MSF teaching me how to drop and roll without smashing my head into the pavement. You could take the class every weekend for a year and still get wrecked by someone on a cell phone that "didn't see you"....just sayin'

Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
The ATGATT crowd should be along any minute now to call us idiots and tell us how stupid we are (never fails).

It has always amazed me how furious the ATGATT crowd attacks and preaches their agenda. I would think that even the most ardent safety **** could see past the safety aspect of the argument to the fact that it's really a matter of liberty.

Let those who ride decide.
I am a ATGATT rider. I do so by choice. I agree that it should be the riders decision. Still as riders we are a minority. If the majority like auto drivers can be forced to wear seat belts against thier will, we could easily be all be forced to wear helmets by the law makers. Vote for them wisely and support the AMA.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Well then, conversely, I don't want to pay for someone who chose a life of gluttony and is suffering from the effects of obesity. Where does it stop? It's a weak argument and makes you sound like an azzhole.
If they aren't covered by private insurance or can't afford medical care on their own, put them out. Why should I have to pay taxes to fund other people's problems. They'll either figure out that they need to lose weight or we'll have one less large mouth to feed in an already over populated world.

I support the right to choose, just not the right to mooch off of the 53%.

Quick Reply: Lawmakers Ponder Motorcycle Helmet Law...