The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Our first ever DOT helmet police stop.... yep

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrbill
Just a sampling of an article I found.....
http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/09...t-helmet-laws/
The responses are lenghty but worth reading.

DOT can not approve helmets. Therefore no helmets are approved by DOT.
NTSB......laws require motorcyclists to wear helmets compliant with the federal motorcycle helmet performance standard, FMVSS 218.
There izs no legal way to beat it.
Some people are splitting hairs when they claim a difference between NTSB and DOT.
The former is a division of the latter.

It reminds me of the people who claim the IRS is illegal.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Thanks for laying out all the rules for us, should really simplify my life. Oh, since you're the guy signing my paycheck, I'm tired of no raises for the past 4 years, I need a raise please.

Originally Posted by Snarvol
I just gotta flame this.....
Public harrassment and revenue gathering like this are NOT what I pay cops to do, nor do I pay them to violate constitutional rights by forcing people from their homes as they did here recently illegaly, nor to harrass bikers or anyone else, or set up speed traps to bring in 200K a day as they do here also. Yeh, I don't like cops - WTF!!!
I do pay them to control traffic when necessary by getting their butts into the street and do some directing to avoid wrecks. I do pay them to pull over people in SUV's yacking mindlessly on the phone who are a PUBLIC menice like the one who turned left barely infront of me never looking in any direction, I do pay them to at least attempt to deter crimes against the public, bust crack houses (which they seldom do), chase down and apprehend rapests, child molesters, armed robbers, criminals who assault women and senior citizens, etc.
I do not pay them for pulling over folks cause they don't like your helmet, it should be none of their business if you even wear one, or they dont like the pipes on your scoot, or any of the dozens of other offensive cop activites they regularaly do which are not crimes against either individuals or the public. They are public servents and I, like TINKER1, wish they'd attend to the jobs the're not doing, don't care for what they mostly are doing, and sure don't care for people who dont know the difference between chicken s_ _t harrassment of basically law abiding, tax paying citizens and real crime.
Yeh, I'd write my rep also, or better yet go to his office and pay him a visit as I have done before. Thats what they are there for. Thats WTF.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

quit your pissing and moaning. you live in a state where the majority of the citizens...thru their elected officials...want you to wear a d.o.t. approved helmet to protect you. move to another state that does not have a helmet law-of course, you will find something there you don't like either.

the real solution would be to get involved in the political process...find a candidate that agrees with you and give him your support. that would entail more than just showing up on election day. volunteer at his campaign office, put his campaign signs in your yard and his stickers on your vehicles, go door-to-door and ask your fellow citizens for their support, work the phone banks, and of course write a check to help him with his expenses.

and the OP is a lawyer? what a bunch of bleeding-heart liberals! and then he has the nerve to complain when his little feelings get hurt...he should turn in his a.c.l.u. card. or he could run for public office--aren't most of the crooks in the state capitals lawyers? he could campaign on getting the helmet law repealled...he would have plenty of campaign funds and supporters from the "biker" community. lol.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Big AL 76
Hmm if all this fuss is over a little sticker what If i just got a sticker that says D.O.T. and stuck it on the back of my novelty. Think it will work ?
Already done that years ago.wear dot legal now

Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner

and the OP is a lawyer? what a bunch of bleeding-heart liberals! and then he has the nerve to complain when his little feelings get hurt...he should turn in his a.c.l.u. card. or he could run for public office--aren't most of the crooks in the state capitals lawyers? he could campaign on getting the helmet law repealled...he would have plenty of campaign funds and supporters from the "biker" community. lol.
WOW, either you can't read or you just like to post to prove to the world you finally can. As I have stated repeatedly, I started this post is simply to let fellow riders know that there are in fact officers in Virginia who are writing NON DOT helmet tickets. Something I have never seen before and something I felt was worth sharing to fellow riders. I have BEEN a member of abate and I'm a Limbaugh conservative. But thats not the point of my post.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bikerlaw-while we are at it, let's pass one more law. no more licenses to practice law to be issued...too many already. when one lawyer retires or dies then issue a new license to one. the officer was enforcing the law--that is what the taxpayers want. you are not above the law and should applaud the officer for doing his job. being inconvienced is part of living in a free society.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh, the Lawyer bashing goes on and on.................

Since you clearly missed it in the many posts. I WAS wearing a DOT helmet as was Mike, the other Lawyer. Remember, he was the one that was stopped. I pulled over with him out of courtesy to my buddy. Neither one of us was breaking the law, and both of us were sent on our way after only a brief delay. This post was intended to alert others who actively choose to not comply with the DOT mandate, that they may have issues here in Virginia. Try to keep up son.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-02-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for a rev gen thing. Most states are hurting for money and tickets are a fast and easy way to get it. I just hate the fact that they use LEOs to do the job of making up the short fall for the idiots who can not spend the states money in a responsable way to begin with. Most LEOs I know do not like it either. Expect more of the same for ANY mode of personal transportation that you use.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM
abbksb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BikerLaw - Thanks for the head's up about the helmet check. I get down that way often and have never seen them do this before either. Hopefully this was a one time thing because of the VA Beach event.

Don't let the comprehension skills of some of the posters get you down. Once threads start going over two pages a lot of folks glaze over, check out, and just reply to whatever they read last, completely neglecting the original intent of the post.

Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Heres a heads up. I just got this e-mail.
__________________________________________________ ______

Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 12:01:23 -0400
Subject: Tickets Issued at Virginia Beach Bike Classic

The Virginia Beach Bike Classic was held this weekend at North Beach landing in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It was great to be there and see a lot of friends from Virginia and the Carolinas. However the event was marred by law enforcement. The Virginia State Police in conjunction with the Virginia Beach Police Department set up a few miles from the event and wrote tickets for offenses such as unapproved helmets, illegal exhausts, improperly mounted license plates, etc. It was reported at one point that they were refusing those without a “DOT Approved” helmet to proceed further and forced them to go back to the event a buy a new helmet.

If you or anyone that you know received such a ticket at the Virginia Beach Bike Classic please contact me and I will represent you at no charge. These charges are improper given the law in Virginia. For those in favor of mandatory helmet use this is not an attack on helmets. I respect the right of every motorcyclist to hold an opinion on this matter. However this is not about helmets, it is about ensuring that the police follow the law. If they are going to stop and charge people they should at least be familiar with the statutes under which they are charging them.

I also want to reiterate that I am not anti-law enforcement. As an ex police officer and an ex prosecuting attorney I have an extensive law enforcement background. However, to many times I see motorcyclists charged for not wearing a helmet approved by DOT when the law in Virginia does not require that a helmet be approved by anyone. I also see tickets for illegal exhausts merely because the officer does not like the sound of the exhaust. I have seen tickets for improperly mounted license plates merely because the license plate is mounted vertically instead of horizontally. Virginia law does not prohibit vertically mounted license plates. I have even seen a few handle bar height tickets when that law was repealed in 2003. You are not guilty of an offense simply because an officer says that you are. You are only guilty if you have violated a statute or ordinance. A great number of people charged at the Virginia Beach Bike Classic did not violate any state or local law.

That is why I think it is important to challenge these tickets even though they are non-moving violations. If we as motorcyclists merely pre-pay them because it is too much of a hassle to go to court and fight then we will continue to receive improperly issued tickets. So if you have received such a ticket please contact me and I will be happy to take the case(s) at no charge.

Matt Danielson
McGrath & Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
Motorcyclelawgroup.com

Quick Reply: Our first ever DOT helmet police stop.... yep